Alarm Systems and Theft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, I'm watching this show "American Underworld" ab this journalists that shows you how criminals steal cars, or your identity or whatever it may be. This show is about car thieves :nono: The worst kind IMO they stole a 03 RCSB 2wd Chevy silverado in 60 seconds, had it completely stripped down EVERYTHING removed in under 2 hrs, bought a good frame/cab with a clean vin number and rebuilt the entire truck just as quick as it came apart except now it has the new VIN and won't appear to be stolen...Just made me really think.

My alarm system on my truck finally kind of crapped out, or at least the remote won't work anymore (not batterys) and I'm wondering are there any Alarm system out there that can actually prevent theft??? I'm beginning to think all the they do is annoy people. I'd also like to be able to unlock it and start it from my smart phone...Any alarm systems or things like that that are worth it? Need opinions.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
NO. Think about it, if they can do all this in seconds why would a couple wires from your alarm stop or even slow them down.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the truck they stole on the show apparently didn't have an alarm system and I also know that when my alarm was activated it killed my starter so it wasn't able to acutally start the truck...In the show it took 2 guys to steal the truck. 1 to break in and do something with the ignition, then he popped the hood for the other guy who had some kind of CPU he called the brain he hooked up and allowed them to start the truck without keys, but the truck didn't have an alarm from what I could tell at all. Just wondering how easy it is to bypass and alarm system if you are a truck thief?

So pretty much if car thieves decide they want your truck there is nothing you can do (Other than the obvious precautions)???

Last edited:

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Onstar can track it by GPS. You can buy Onstar at Best Buy now for like $200.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah that's good but I'm trying to prevent it from ever getting to that step. Isn't there another thing called Lojack for that?

So any alarm system ever is easily disarmed by car thieves correct?

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What about the old school granny steering wheel clubs you lock the wheel with?

Check this column lock I found my putting anti theft into ebay search lol Don't understand how it works but trying to figure out WHAT IS BEST TOOL FOR ANTI THEFT be it alarm system, steering wheel club, column lock.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I have a steering wheel club, my buddy has one that goes behind the brake pedal, I also think my alarm is pretty good. That being said, no, if someone decides they want your vehicle bad enough, they can take it (ex: use a hacksaw on the steering wheel to get the club off). I am pretty careful about when I drive home, make sure no one is following, and I club it everytime I park it. Don't give anyone a reason to steal it, don't go racing through town, and when you stop at a light, turn the volume down. If they hear it, and think it has a system, I think they're more likely to take an interest.

One thing I guess you could do, but it would be a pain to do everytime, so maybe just for longer stays, is to pop the hood and pull the fuel relay. No relay = no power to fuel pump = no start. So unless they have that exact relay, it ain't going anywhere. I've also heard about systems that won't start unless the key is within a certain proximity to the vehicle, but I don't know how tough it would be to bypass, but still, it would require more effort/time, which means the longer they take, the more likely they get caught.

There's also Lo-Jack + beater car + 12 guage.

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
I have a steering wheel club, my buddy has one that goes behind the brake pedal, I also think my alarm is pretty good. That being said, no, if someone decides they want your vehicle bad enough, they can take it (ex: use a hacksaw on the steering wheel to get the club off). I am pretty careful about when I drive home, make sure no one is following, and I club it everytime I park it. Don't give anyone a reason to steal it, don't go racing through town, and when you stop at a light, turn the volume down. If they hear it, and think it has a system, I think they're more likely to take an interest.

One thing I guess you could do, but it would be a pain to do everytime, so maybe just for longer stays, is to pop the hood and pull the fuel relay. No relay = no power to fuel pump = no start. So unless they have that exact relay, it ain't going anywhere. I've also heard about systems that won't start unless the key is within a certain proximity to the vehicle, but I don't know how tough it would be to bypass, but still, it would require more effort/time, which means the longer they take, the more likely they get caught.

There's also Lo-Jack + beater car + 12 guage.

+1 man good post. I make sure nobody follows me as well, I take a drive around the block if there's a suspect :uhoh2: lol.

My Buick's key has a little chip in it. It won't start without it, but it's like $80 for a new key. You can bet it'd be expensive to get it installed.