Aftermarket wheel questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

satxwy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm debating buying some aftermarket wheels but I had some questions I hoped you could help me with. The truck is a '98 GMC C1500.

I'm looking at various 15x8 black steelies with 3.75" backspacing. Two main questions:

1) most have hub bore listed around 3.3". I think I've seen that our trucks have a 3.08" hub bore. I'm pretty sure I've seen that the stock alloys are lug centric, not hub centric anyway, so would this matter?

2) load rating. What's the minimum wheel load rating I should consider? The front axle rating is 3600 lbs and the rear rating is ~3950 lbs, so it seems like to be safe I should keep it around 2000 and up? Which is a shame because I was really liking the Cragar 365 V-5s, which have a load rating of 1600 lbs. Seemed okay at first glance since 1600x4 exceeded the GVWC of the truck.

Also, whenever I "check fitment" on the Summit Racing calculator, it always says they won't fit, even though all the specs seem to match up (5x127 bolt pattern, hub bore, etc). Any reason to give that any thought?

Thanks guys, and I'm open to recommendations for some cheap black wheels!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm debating buying some aftermarket wheels but I had some questions I hoped you could help me with. The truck is a '98 GMC C1500.

I'm looking at various 15x8 black steelies with 3.75" backspacing. Two main questions:

1) most have hub bore listed around 3.3". I think I've seen that our trucks have a 3.08" hub bore. I'm pretty sure I've seen that the stock alloys are lug centric, not hub centric anyway, so would this matter?

2) load rating. What's the minimum wheel load rating I should consider? The front axle rating is 3600 lbs and the rear rating is ~3950 lbs, so it seems like to be safe I should keep it around 2000 and up? Which is a shame because I was really liking the Cragar 365 V-5s, which have a load rating of 1600 lbs. Seemed okay at first glance since 1600x4 exceeded the GVWC of the truck.

Also, whenever I "check fitment" on the Summit Racing calculator, it always says they won't fit, even though all the specs seem to match up (5x127 bolt pattern, hub bore, etc). Any reason to give that any thought?

Thanks guys, and I'm open to recommendations for some cheap black wheels!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought US Wheel brand when I wanted black steel, like $60 a wheel. Might be worth a look :shrug: I still have them out back with 30x9.5 mounted on them, if you were local I'd sell them to you.