Rough Country 16x8 Steel Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rhecgmt400

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to this forum, finally picked up a 93 K1500 Extended cab, put some new tires and Rough Country steel wheels on it. This may be a dumb question, but do these trucks need to be hub centric? The center bore on the wheels is 4.25, and it doesn't sit on the hub. Is this ok? Or do these need a hub ring. Let me know please!

Attachments

• 16900719993288966022630251696312.jpg
    16900719993288966022630251696312.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 15

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My OEM steel wheels are. Did it show correct fitment? I don’t think that’s gonna work.

rhecgmt400

Reaction score
Yes they're made to fit this truck and other chevy models from that time. The nuts are tapered too. I've driven around for over a day now with them, and they're smooth as can be, even at highway speeds.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes they're made to fit this truck and other chevy models from that time. The nuts are tapered too. I've driven around for over a day now with them, and they're smooth as can be, even at highway speeds.
I’m sure they “feel” fine right now, until failure on lugs not designed to carry that weight. Post a link from where you bought and the wheels specifically.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, I’ve heard that our wheels are hub centric but now thinking about it, if lugs are conical, doesn’t that make it lug centric? Maybe you are good then! :hmm:

kolgeirr

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're fine - true hub-centric wheels fit the hub tight and generally have flat lugs in my experience. I think the only true hub-centric wheels around on these are the rears of dualies, but unsure about those.

Whenever I rotate the factory wheels I rest the wheel on the hub and then put the top lug on first. The factory wheels look hub centric because they fit the hub pretty close, but I can tell they aren't truely as every time I run in the first tapered lug it always pulls the wheel up away from the hub and leaves a small gap all the way around, on both my 96 and 99. As long as those are tapered lugs going into tapered seats it should be lug centric and you should be good.

rhecgmt400

Reaction score
They're fine - true hub-centric wheels fit the hub tight and generally have flat lugs in my experience. I think the only true hub-centric wheels around on these are the rears of dualies, but unsure about those.

Whenever I rotate the factory wheels I rest the wheel on the hub and then put the top lug on first. The factory wheels look hub centric because they fit the hub pretty close, but I can tell they aren't truely as every time I run in the first tapered lug it always pulls the wheel up away from the hub and leaves a small gap all the way around, on both my 96 and 99. As long as those are tapered lugs going into tapered seats it should be lug centric and you should be good.
Thank you! I worked in a tire shop for a while, and I'm familiar with what youre saying, the wheels on most cars almost never actually sit on the hub. And the lugs are tapered, the wheels I wouldn't call "tapered" but the nut sits down in it. They don't just clamp the outside of the wheel. So I'm assuming it's ok.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey're fine - true hub-centric wheels fit the hub tight and generally have flat lugs in my experience.
That’s when it hit me, cause my Sportsman 570 has hub centric with flat lugs and I know the Sportsman 850 has conical and not hub centric. But I’ve heard a few times on this forum them being called hub centric and didn’t really even think about it much cause I don’t know about yours, but my steel wheels are really tight to the hubs. Sometimes even after all the lugs are removed, I have to kick the tire to get it started off. And I rotate every 3k.

kolgeirr

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s when it hit me, cause my Sportsman 570 has hub centric with flat lugs and I know the Sportsman 850 has conical and not hub centric. But I’ve heard a few times on this forum them being called hub centric and didn’t really even think about it much cause I don’t know about yours, but my steel wheels are really tight to the hubs. Sometimes even after all the lugs are removed, I have to kick the tire to get it started off. And I rotate every 3k.
Nah my alloys aren't that tight. They look hub centric, but if you get in there with a feeler gauge or a really close eyeball there's about a 1mm or so gap around the hubs. On removal, when the last lug comes off, the top of the wheel always swings into the body and the bottom comes away from the hub, sitting on the lug studs.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My steelies are so tight, I wire wheeled the I.D. of them a couple weeks ago. Yours 4WD?
Edit: I see your signature.