AFM DELETE PROBLEMS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonP

Reaction score
Pistons should have nothing to do with the Afm/dod delete. The system issues oil pressure to collapse 4 of the 8 lifters and manages the fuel so those pistons go ip and down without contributing to the engine out put. The control plate, the lifters and the pushrods need to be replaced, the heads have to come off to replace the dod lifters. if it had a mechanical failure of the dod lifters, the cam is probably junk but even if not you are already 75 percent into the change justifying a cam change

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Pistons should have nothing to do with the Afm/dod delete. The system issues oil pressure to collapse 4 of the 8 lifters and manages the fuel so those pistons go ip and down without contributing to the engine out put. The control plate, the lifters and the pushrods need to be replaced, the heads have to come off to replace the dod lifters. if it had a mechanical failure of the dod lifters, the cam is probably junk but even if not you are already 75 percent into the change justifying a cam change

Doesn't get any better than that. Clear and concise.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
the afm motors also have a hidden filter called..... the VLOMF for valve lifter oil manifold filter. it filters all the oil into the afm system.... THERE IS NO SERVICE MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE! lol the caps thing.... ya I was yelling! LMAO. it would be the only filter in the history of filters that Iv ever heard of that dosent have a maintenance schedule! it's like a stainless steel thimble sized screen and its hidden down under the oil pressure sensor if memory serves me correctly. it's a $5 part and I believe when it gets clogged is when the afm system gets ****** and a new motor is always what gm says in most cases costing $8000 and pinning that cost on the owner. being a member on GMTC Iv heard this over and over and just tried to figure out what might actually be the root cause and this is my personal opinion. make up your own maintenance schedule and disable afm with the range afm disabling device.

I dont n wont have one of these.... love my gmt400's that were built..... "Like A Rock! Oohhhh Like A Rock!"

Al

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The first person in this thread not abusing the poor OP for the simple rookie mistake of posting in the wrong section, literally just one section above the LSX swap forum. :)

Some of y'all woulda been right at home on FSC.. LOL :D

Richard

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The first person in this thread not abusing the poor OP for the simple rookie mistake of posting in the wrong section, literally just one section above the LSX swap forum. :)

Some of y'all woulda been right at home on FSC.. LOL :D

Richard
Well, he gave 0 context, used all caps, never replied to any questions. Plus everything anyone said was pretty lighthearted, mainly making fun of the ALL CAPS USAGE. No one was just ******** on him for no reason, and even when we were screwing with him we were asking for more info so we could help.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well, he gave 0 context, used all caps, never replied to any questions. Plus everything anyone said was pretty lighthearted, mainly making fun of the ALL CAPS USAGE. No one was just ******** on him for no reason, and even when we were screwing with him we were asking for more info so we could help.
Everybody was new once..

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
NAL-12585328 is the DOD oil filter $8.99 @ Summit Racing

Change the cam when you do the DOD/AFM delete. They are known for idling rough if you don't.

Check the rocker arm bearings. They often fail.

You will need a custom tune.

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will have some idle issues like its trying to lope and will set a code until it comes off idle but cam swap isn't a must. Do have to change the lifter trays , half the lifters and plug the oil galley holes under the intake or use the solid plate with the o rings. O yeah if your using the gen 4 pcm will have to turn off all the dod/afm in the pcm