Actual cost for bolt-on lifts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm in a bit of a unqiue situation here. I recently got my first vehicle that is mine to do with as I please ('98 k1500. 4x4, 5 speed 350, etc.). Thus far it has been doing a great job of getting me to class everyday, which is its main purpose aside from going on small off-roading trips on the weekends.

For one reason or another, I will have close to $2500 between now and the first of the year (that is after buying new tires/wheels already.) that I have set aside to put into the truck.

Up until now I have just figured I'd do some engine upgrades then put some cosmetic stuff on it and be done. But I have been reading up on some build threads, and I 'think' I would be able to afford to build up my suspension slightly.

Here are a few extra things;
1. The truck will primarily be a road driver. So no bogger tires, solid front axles, or anything like that, but I would still like for it to retain the ability to do well offroad when I needed. I don't normally go any place that a stock 4x4 with agressive tires couldn't go.
2. I am on a budget. Around how much are you guys paying for lifts? What are brands to look for/stay away from?
3. Is installing a lift possible to do at home with basic tools? I have access to a shop that charges next to nothing to do my work, but it is more out of my pocket regardless.
4. Am I going the right direction in your opinion? I am mechanically inclined (going for my master's in mechanical engineering.) but my resources and funds are limited. And I cannot have this truck apart for 6 months at a time. I don't want to get in over my head.

The setup I would be going for would be something like a 4"-6" suspsension lift with 33-36 tires with 4:10 gears in the back (unless more is needed.)

Any advise would be appreciated.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Talk to Jon from Southern Truck Performance thru GMFS and he'll get you a 4-6" Rough Country for $950 or a Cepek 6.5" for $1250 thats with shipping included the last time I checked. The RCX kit is a direct bolt on with no cutting or welding while the Cepek requires a little cutting and isn't as easy to install but the Cepek is big enough for 37s with some cranking. It depends whether you drive highway or city mostly but I would go with 35s with 4.56s on the Rough Country lift IMO

Also, read over this...
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?176-GMT400-Lift-Guide

98chevy4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats sounds good and i wouldnt go no lower then 4:10s speacily with 35 or 36s thats bout back at stock

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
I was hoping to run 36s with a 4-6" lift.

As for the gears, I will be driving on the interstate occasionally, so I don't want be wringing its guts out on the top end. Are 4:10's appropriate? Or might the extra tire size let me run 4:56?

98chevy4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4:10s will just bout make it like stock again but if you want a lil more power and everything you might wanna go with 4:56s but im my opinion i would just run 4:10s with some bolts on parts on my motor and just other lil things to help it out

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
I was hoping to run 36s with a 4-6" lift.

As for the gears, I will be driving on the interstate occasionally, so I don't want be wringing its guts out on the top end. Are 4:10's appropriate? Or might the extra tire size let me run 4:56?

For 36s I would recommend the cepek, it's the only one that'll crank high enough and keep flat enough angles to run 36s. For gears, you'll want 4.56s especially for a 12+ year old truck it'll set it back to stock like handling and will keep the added stress off your transmission. 4.10s would only be suited if you did alot of highway driving, like 60+ miles a day but components would still suffer during acceleration. Keep in mind there's alot of guys running 37-38s on 4.88s.

You must be registered for see images attach

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
For 36s I would recommend the cepek, it's the only one that'll crank high enough and keep flat enough angles to run 36s. For gears, you'll want 4.56s especially for a 12+ year old truck it'll set it back to stock like handling and will keep the added stress off your transmission. 4.10s would only be suited if you did alot of highway driving, like 60+ miles a day but components would still suffer during acceleration. Keep in mind there's alot of guys running 37-38s on 4.88s.

I was more partial to the RCX kit, for reason of easy of installation. Would 35's or 34's be more appropriate? I have no set tire size in mind, I just assumed 36's were about right.

As for gears, will 4:56s still be right with slightly smaller tires? It will see less than 30 miles a day, but on occasion it will need to drive on the interstate @ 80mph for 4 hours. Is that possible with this setup?

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
JohnnyRingo is running bald 37x13.50s on just a RCX I believe. You can fit 36s on there but I prefer to keep to a size that won't scrub or require steep angles on front end geometry. 35 or 36s I would run 4.56s, 34s or smaller I would go with 4.10s, You'll still be able to run highway speeds without a problem.

Edit...

Yep

these are just temps to keep the miles off my boggers. the second someone offers me cash they will be gone. but thanks guys, they're 37/22s i cant believe mike got it wrong since he's runnin same deal. anyway she should be good to go tom. and she's gone be stuffed fellas. 37x13.50 on like a 9.75 wide wheel with just the rcx is CLOSE.