Ability and Pros/Cons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it possible to replace the stock L31 heads and intake manifold with the heads and intake manifold from a carb setup?
I have access to an entire engine out of a 71 Nova and was wondering what would have to be done to convert my stock L31 to accept a carbureted fuel system. The reason I'm considering the idea is that I'm currently having issues with my current fuel system and dont have the money to upgrade/ fix it and figured that going to a carbureted setup would be a cheaper alternative since I have most of, if not all of, the needed parts. Plus, most of, if not all of, the labor would be on my hands.
And if it is reasonably possible to convert, what would be the pros and cons of a carb over CPFI? I've heard that fuel economy would not me ideal, but what else?

Chevy-Art

LS1 Truck Club Member
Reaction score
I saw on a forum where they did this. They kept the Vortec heads and bought a carb intake, they made a plate that bolts the intake and the plate accepts the throttle boddy. I am not 100% sure, but it seems that is what they did. I am going to try and find it. It would not be worth it to swap over to carb.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
(Almost) Anything that bolts to a first generation SBC, will bolt to a 88-98 GMT 400. Heads will dictate what intake and valve covers you have to use; maybe even exhaust manifold/headers, but I'm not sure about this one. Like said above, you can get a carburated intake manifold to bolt to your heads right now too.

You'll need to figure out a way to controll the transmission, since it's electronic.

I imagine with a little bit of looking you can figure out how to do this and make work with all the electronics.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Not worth the hassle.
First, you'll have to figure out how to control your trans
Second, your fuel pump will put out WAY too much pressure for a carb, and I haven't seen a Vortec block that has the manual fuel pump provision drilled out, not to mention your cam doesn't have a lobe to run it.
Third, it's just a bad idea. The injectors really aren't that hard to fix, and you can get a whole new spider on eBay for less than $300

This one is a reman, old style poppets (I don't recommend it, but if you're tight on cash)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Inject...Parts_Accessories&hash=item460b66b9ba&vxp=mtr

This one is the new style poppets and much stronger tubing
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Picku...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5650384d71&vxp=mtr

There's many more reasons not to, but you get the idea

I see you're in Killeen, if you need help, I'd be glad to. I'm in McKinney. Nothing I can't do on these trucks. I've done these injector spiders more times than I'd like to count

Converting would not be cheaper. After spending the money on retuning your PCM, doing head gaskets (NEVER reuse head gaskets!), and the list goes on. Fixing what's wrong is simpler and cheaper

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So basically I will need more than I have available to me currently, that's what I was looking for.

I'd like to upgrade to MPFI at tax time, but work on the truck is being put on the back burner by my fiancee. Sucks having only one income to rely on in a house with 6 people.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see you're in Killeen, if you need help, I'd be glad to. I'm in McKinney. Nothing I can't do on these trucks. I've done these injector spiders more times than I'd like to count

McKinney is 7 hours away for me, not including Dallas traffic. I cant even make it to Waco on a full tank.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
McKinney is 7 hours away for me, not including Dallas traffic. I cant even make it to Waco on a full tank.

Damn, I didn't realize how far it was.

And as far as upgrading to MPFI, the money and time that takes is not worth the payoff. You will have to find a Mercruiser (marine) intake, which is not as easy as you'd think, not to mention expensive. Then modify a few things on it to get it to work, get your PCM tuned, and lots of other little things. It's a great upgrade, but unless you're looking at pushing 400 HP or more from it, it's not worth the trouble. The factory spider system runs 19 lb injectors, which most people say will handle about 330hp, but I've seen a dyno run that pulled 355 with a cam and headwork, and would cost less than the MPFI. He also had the updated spider.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
And a fiancee at 22? Voice of experience, it's a good idea to wait man. I'm divorced twice from the same woman that I married at 21, and I've been told I have GOOD judgement haha. Once while I was in the Marines, and the final divorce was Dec 11th. Just a little friendly advice. Live it up buddy. Girlfriends are great, but the fiancee/marriage jump is a big one. Oh, the things I could've had done if I hadn't jumped into that so soon haha.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And a fiancee at 22? Voice of experience, it's a good idea to wait man. I'm divorced twice from the same woman that I married at 21, and I've been told I have GOOD judgement haha. Once while I was in the Marines, and the final divorce was Dec 11th. Just a little friendly advice. Live it up buddy. Girlfriends are great, but the fiancee/marriage jump is a big one. Oh, the things I could've had done if I hadn't jumped into that so soon haha.

Technically, she's just my girlfriend, but by Texas law, we're already married. Common Law Marriage. We've been together for 4 years and have a 2 year old daughter.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn, I didn't realize how far it was.

And as far as upgrading to MPFI, the money and time that takes is not worth the payoff. You will have to find a Mercruiser (marine) intake, which is not as easy as you'd think, not to mention expensive. Then modify a few things on it to get it to work, get your PCM tuned, and lots of other little things. It's a great upgrade, but unless you're looking at pushing 400 HP or more from it, it's not worth the trouble. The factory spider system runs 19 lb injectors, which most people say will handle about 330hp, but I've seen a dyno run that pulled 355 with a cam and headwork, and would cost less than the MPFI. He also had the updated spider.

You are the first source I have found that says I cant just use my current intake. I've read a lot of the marine intake threads that are floating around the internet. In fact, that's what brought me here in the first place many months ago. But yeah, most of the threads I've read about going to MPFI have said nothing about the marine intake being necessary.