A few questions about autocross

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegtwyo86

Reaction score
Hey everyone......
So I'm wanting to get into autocross with my truck..I have a 4/6 drop on it now with all the bushings replaced urethane ones, I'm going to replace the front control arms with tubular ones and install 4 way adjustable qa1 shocks front and rear. My first question is, should I go with more drop like a 6/8. And my other question is, I have a mildly built 350 I'm planning on installing in the truck, my question is I'm wanting to go with a manual transmission, is there a 5 speed worth spending my money on that will hold up to everyday driving and autocrossing on the weekend or should I just go with a 6 speed? I would prefer to go with a 5 speed because going with a 6 speed would cost me around 3k to install but if I'm going to have to keep rebuilding/replacing 5 speeds I will just go with the 6 speed. Thanks ahead of time for the info and sorry for the long post....

James

Reaction score
Every five speed I've driven the gears sucked.. the six speed like the Camaros had were geared more for guickness. Truck five speeds are more for hauling. I want a freaken six speed soo bad :(

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
You arent going to go through 5 speeds any faster than 6 speeds just because it has another gear doesnt mean its stronger

thegtwyo86

Reaction score
I know that the extra gear doesn't make them any stronger. But from what I have seen most 5 speeds are only rated at 300 fpt

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
t56 6 speed seem to be the best bang for your buck... As far as your 4/6 maybe a 5/7 could be worth it. I would probably consider running 4 coil overs on the truck. Better sway bar in the front and a sway bar in the back would probably make a wonder ....

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I know that the extra gear doesn't make them any stronger. But from what I have seen most 5 speeds are only rated at 300 fpt

No way the nv4500 came with way more than thats stock

thegtwyo86

Reaction score
Ok thanks, I was thinking of running coil overs but for now i won't be able to because I can't have the truck down for a long time because it's my dd right now.

thegtwyo86

Reaction score
I never considered it because, it is geared to low, most of the driving on the corse is in 1st and maybe 2nd gear depending on the track.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
coil over in the front wouldn't be to hard, I thinkg 454ssguy did it and seems like a direct swap. The read you would have to run a 4 link or something of that type to get rid of your leafs. I personally think getting rid of the leafs will make the difference in the world.