99 transmission into a 97?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rickyrayjay

Reaction score
Can I put a 99 transmission that is NOT from an LS setup into a stock 97? Any issues with shaft lengths, electronics, ground wire, etc? Overall length same, output shaft to face meeting t-case same. T-case adapter different but lengths look same.

rickyrayjay

Reaction score
If anyone else is considering this, I got it in and so far so good. Only issue was cooler line locations are slightly different on the 99. 99 comes out straight or almost perpendicular. 97 came out at an angle. Almost 45 degrees. I had to piece together a couple brass fittings from a hardware store to line up with the bends of the cooler lines. My only issue right now is that the shift linkage works when putting into gear, but when attempting to return the column selector to a previous gear that it has already passed, the cable will not return the linkage to any previous gear. Ideas? I have to crawl under and manually push the linkage back into park in order to park it air go back into reverse after already being in a drive forward gear

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey dude, I have never done this swap, but I have seen it done several times. I am glad you got it in and working. What shift cable bracket did you use? I would use the one off the 97. Maybe try which ever one you didn't use to see if that fixes that shift issue. That, or the clip simply isn't clipped all the way. Get someone to shift it while you're watching it.