99 Tahoe timing cover replacement, can't use synthetic now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
I have a '99 Tahoe that I rebuilt the engine on last summer. When I put the engine back together I did not notice the misalignment of the stupid ******* cover with the block and now there is a huge leak ( 2 drops / second) coming from the cover. I was told to remove the cover and reinstall it with a small RTV bead to fill in the gap.

I would have no problem doing this except for the fact that synthetic eats RTV, and I really like to use Amsoil.

Any sugestions? Thanks.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never heard that synthetic oil eats RTV. I've heard synthetic causes leaks, which isn't true. I've also heard it'll destroy a high mileage engine, which also isn't true. So unless you've seen it with your own eyes, I wouldn't believe it eats RTV either.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a '99 Tahoe that I rebuilt the engine on last summer. When I put the engine back together I did not notice the misalignment of the stupid ******* cover with the block and now there is a huge leak ( 2 drops / second) coming from the cover. I was told to remove the cover and reinstall it with a small RTV bead to fill in the gap.

I would have no problem doing this except for the fact that synthetic eats RTV, and I really like to use Amsoil.

Any sugestions? Thanks.

Did you replace the cover when you rebuilt the engine? They are supposed to be a one time use deal, and only cost 19.95 plus shipping from RA, or 29.99 plus tax from Advance Auto. Just get another and don't worry about it. If you must use RTV, use it. Synthetic oil does not eat RTV, so fear not.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
from my experience engines that leak a little oil will leak significantly more with synthetic oil, just my .02

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Well, I have not had the time to replace the stupid thing. I believe the reason it is leaking is because I did not scrape the mating surface and now it is leaking around part of the old gasket. I have slowed down the leak for now by plugging off the air intake on the pass side valve cover and am using the engine vacuum to keep it under control.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anytime that I have had to remove a vortec plastic timing chain cover I replace the whole thing with a new one, the gasket is included, no rtv, no leak's, and no problem's.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
The old one was replaced. The first one I bought at AutoZone and did not have the hole for the crank sensor. I had to get one online. It did include a pre-molded gasket and everything. My problem is from the install. When I installed the new one I did not scrape the block and I think some of the old gasket was still on it. I was working in limited space since the engine was mounted to the frame the whole time. I did not have a cheery picker so it was just easier and cheaper to do it this way. I probably would not have been able to do it without the body lift.