99 Tahoe 5.7 died on the way to work, crank no start, P0307, replaced crank sensor, no fix. Plz help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NoobLube

Reaction score
Hey all, I bought this 99 chevy tahoe in July, and had replaced a couple things since then. It has 224k on it, and it ran just fine before, with no real issues.
Ive replaced the:
Catalytic converters
belt
tensioner
idler pulley
Distributor cap
and the battery since I had bought it.
But the issue arose when going to work yesterday. I got in it, and started it. The belt was squeaking like normal, but I put on some soap to deal with it, as normal. I was about a mile from home when I was going though a yellow light. I sped up a little to pass through it. It downshifted, and was going fine for a second or two, when I was met with sudden hesitation, and an abrupt loss of power. The check gauges light came on, but all gauges were good, (oil press, temp, battery etc.) I suspect it may have come on due to the engine dying, but I am unsure. I pulled it to the side of the road, and checked under the vehicle for any leaks. There was a strong scent of sulfur in the air, like rotten eggs. Needless to say, I had to get it towed home. Once home, I ran the scan tool through it, and found P0307 code, which is the cyl 7 misfire. I did a bit of research and came to the conclusion that the Crank Position sensor could be the issue. I inspected the sensor, which was caked in oil and dirt, and determined it could use a replacement. I then replaced it, and tried to crank it, but it did not start. I am at wits end with this, and I could use some advice, or just someone to bounce ideas off of until I can figure this out.

I appreciate any help given

thx.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok are there any broken sensors or wires around that area? O2, knock, ground, ect

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
99 chevy tahoe
What engine?
replaced a couple things since then. It has 224k on it, and it ran just fine before, with no real issues.
Ive replaced the:
Catalytic converters
belt
tensioner
idler pulley
Distributor cap
and the battery

The belt was squeaking like normal, but I put on some soap to deal with it, as normal.
Bad idea. Find out why the belt squeaks, and don't contaminate the rubber with "belt dressing" or soap. Lubricants like that kill the noise, but promote slippage making the problem worse.

abrupt loss of power. The check gauges light came on, but all gauges were good, (oil press, temp, battery etc.) I suspect it may have come on due to the engine dying, but I am unsure.
If the engine died, wouldn't the voltmeter drop (no charging from the alternator) and the oil pressure gauge should plummet.

I ran the scan tool through it, and found P0307 code, which is the cyl 7 misfire.
Might explain the "sulfur smell". Misfire is very hard on the catalysts, you want to make sure that gets fixed.

I did a bit of research and came to the conclusion that the Crank Position sensor could be the issue.
That would not affect only one cylinder.

It could cause the engine to die. But so could twenty other things.

I then replaced it, and tried to crank it, but it did not start.
Did you connect a scan tool to look for rpm during cranking? If you have an RPM signal during cranking, the crank sensor is working. Verify ALL the other sensors and computer outputs when you have the scan tool connected.

What is the fuel pressure? Does the fuel pump prime when the key is turned from "Off" to "Run"?

How old are the usual tune-up items--rotor, plug wires, spark plugs? EGR and PCV systems working properly? Timing advance working? Will the coil fire a spark-tester calibrated for HEI?

RLC2020

Reaction score
Check fuel pressure at the engine with the key on, if you don't have 60+ then your pump is dead. Mine died in a similar fashion: About a mile before my house the engine started running really poorly, almost didn't make it home, once in the driveway I shut it off and it would not restart at all. There was no fuel pressure. New pump and it's up and running.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The belt was squeaking like normal, but I put on some soap to deal with it, as normal.
I agree with Schurkey. Soap doesn't "deal with it", it's just a crutch to get you home. Check your pulley alignment if and it's good, check the condition of the belt. If everything looks good and you're still slipping, replace the tensioner.

Once home, I ran the scan tool through it, and found P0307 code, which is the cyl 7 misfire. I did a bit of research and came to the conclusion that the Crank Position sensor could be the issue.
You need a scan tool that can read data stream, and you need to be able to understand the data stream.

It downshifted, and was going fine for a second or two, when I was met with sudden hesitation, and an abrupt loss of power. The check gauges light came on, but all gauges were good, (oil press, temp, battery etc.) I suspect it may have come on due to the engine dying, but I am unsure. I pulled it to the side of the road, and checked under the vehicle for any leaks.
I then replaced it, and tried to crank it, but it did not start.
Does it crank? If not, check your battery terminals for tightness.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Adding to your list, if the power steering pump pulley isn’t flush with the pump shaft it can cause a belt chirp…

You must be registered for see images attach