98 Vortec - timing retard issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckracer

Reaction score
Anyone seen this before:

You must be registered for see images attach

It only happens at 2400 rpm & above.

New Knock sensor.
new distributor.
spider conversion
new plugs
all four o2 sensors new
new cats
new single chamber mufflers

I'm at a loss. the truck gets 18 mpg running around 2200 rpm or less. Drops to 14.0 at 75 (2400rpm) and gets worse from there.

ltxdave

Reaction score
If you are not getting any knock counts, I would check and see what your MAP and TPS sensors are doing at the time of the change in timing. A drop in MAP gets you pretty close to timing levels you are seeing.

Truckracer

Reaction score
traced it down.

It's the a/c compressor kicking in & out...

But I'm not sure if I have a problem with the a/c or if all vortec trucks do this.

Anyone else have live data scanner that would be willing to test their own truck??

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
Your a/c compressor is causing you to have a timing issue? That sounds really odd to me. The compressor working means that your system is charged properly and functioning as intended - you would have timing issues below 2400rpm as well if the a/c compressor was the issue, imo. Did you replace the whole distributor, or just the cap?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I wonder if the A/C compressor is on it's way out and the knock sensor is interpreting it as engine knock and killing your timing? Can you repeat your 2400 rpm driving and just unplug the compressor clutch or even the low pressure switch?

Truckracer

Reaction score
I wonder if the A/C compressor is on it's way out and the knock sensor is interpreting it as engine knock and killing your timing? Can you repeat your 2400 rpm driving and just unplug the compressor clutch or even the low pressure switch?

Oh yea, its repeatable. With the cooler weather now it does it as the compressor runs for the defrost.

This has nothing to do with the brand new distributor. I replace the old one in an effort to find the cause.

I'ts definelty the knock sensor picking something up when the compressor kicks in. Which goes back to my original question - do all trucks trucks do this or is something amiss with mine?

Truckracer

Reaction score
The compressor working means that your system is charged properly and functioning as intended - you would have timing issues below 2400rpm as well if the a/c compressor was the issue, imo.

Well, I don't think so. It does happen below 2400, just infrequently.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Mine used to do it above 3000 RPM all the time. It went away with the 411 swap.