Rough idle, Timing randomly adjusts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Ignition Control Module(amplifier)is mounted on the distributor and both early and late EEC's use the same one. The early Electronic Spark Control is about a 3"X3" box normally mounted on the right side intake man. beside the TB. When retrofitting a late ECM into an early truck you would bypass the external ESC and toss it. If they didn't it may create strange ignition timing issues.
i would put money the stock ECU and 305 chip are in this thing.

ChevPasmore

Reaction score
The Ignition Control Module(amplifier)is mounted on the distributor and both early and late EEC's use the same one. The early Electronic Spark Control is about a 3"X3" box normally mounted on the right side intake man. beside the TB. When retrofitting a late ECM into an early truck you would bypass the external ESC and toss it. If they didn't it may create strange ignition timing issues.
Ah, I do not have a 3x3 box mounted next to the TB. At this point I’m ready to swap out to an older 350 and go carb setup haha

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In 1995 the $0D ECM code running on ECM p/n 16197427 was common. If your swap included the ECM, I would expect to see a sticker on it bearing "16197427". You might read the four digit code of the blue MEMCAL (or was it CALPAK?) and report it here; it may not be the ideal one for your application.
considering he said the 1990 harness was retained, I highly doubt this. Also we have NO idea what transmission was behind the first 5.7L. if it was from a manual transmission itnwoild have used the older ECU reguardless if it was from 94-95

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
considering he said the 1990 harness was retained, I highly doubt this.

I missed that detail, good catch.

(edit) Yeah, I see it's right at the top of post #1, duh. I saw the comment about "ECM" in post #14 and that was my trigger.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
considering he said the 1990 harness was retained, I highly doubt this. Also we have NO idea what transmission was behind the first 5.7L. if it was from a manual transmission itnwoild have used the older ECU reguardless if it was from 94-95
for your year the ESC (electronic spark control) module was mounted on the intake on the passenger side. it will have a 4 or 5 pin flat connector going to it. this also is engine dependant and has a code on it as well. but one thing at a time....

ChevPasmore

Reaction score
for your year the ESC (electronic spark control) module was mounted on the intake on the passenger side. it will have a 4 or 5 pin flat connector going to it. this also is engine dependant and has a code on it as well. but one thing at a time....
Ah yes, I have that and pulled a few things out of the wrecker today. I will match the codes between the two lol. I’ll get the ecm number and all that tomorrow for reference

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah yes, I have that and pulled a few things out of the wrecker today. I will match the codes between the two lol. I’ll get the ecm number and all that tomorrow for reference
I believe the 5.7L module is code "HKR"