Rough idle, Timing randomly adjusts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will add to seeing loose reluctor in the distributor. Holes that hold the center point were also stripped causing caps to die. Definitely worth checking as it is just pressed on.

ChevPasmore

Reaction score
I believe the 5.7L module is code "HKR"
Pulled off a module from a 5.7 at the junk yard and it says “HKM”. So I am swapping that one on to mine as mine does not have that on it and part numbers are different. Basically took every sensor off the 5.7 to swap on to this haha.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pulled off a module from a 5.7 at the junk yard and it says “HKM”. So I am swapping that one on to mine as mine does not have that on it and part numbers are different. Basically took every sensor off the 5.7 to swap on to this haha.
"HKM" is 5.0L. The ones to get are "HKR" or "BLH". "BLH" being the least sensitive to knock.

ChevPasmore

Reaction score
"HKM" is 5.0L. The ones to get are "HKR" or "BLH". "BLH" being the least sensitive to knock.
Ah, damn lol. Well I swapped it over anyways and **** didn’t run and now it won’t turn over and my timing went way off. So putting all the original stuff back as it was probably meant for the 350 haha. Next up is pulling the computer .

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i doubt the knock module would prevent it from running and the only thing that affects your timing is the distributor & ecu calibration

ChevPasmore

Reaction score
i doubt the knock module would prevent it from running and the only thing that affects your timing is the distributor & ecu calibration
Well timing was okay but I don’t know how to explain it haha. The mark was so far retar*ed when the 5.0 stuff was hooked up. But anyways, ran, but then I unplugged the map sensor and it shut the truck off as it should. Put all the original sensors back on…. And now she cranks but no start hahaha. This engine is a nightmare. My money is on the ECU. I was able to get power to my obd port… just kept flashing 12. I know that means no issues, but it wouldn’t change. Stayed flashing 12 and the service light is on still as well.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Are the plugs fouled?
2. Do you have spark at the spark plug end of the plug wires, when cranking? Use a spark tester calibrated for HEI to verify.
3. Do you have fuel spray when cranking?
4. What is the fuel pressure?
5. What is the cranking compression pressure?

ChevPasmore

Reaction score
1. Are the plugs fouled?
2. Do you have spark when cranking?
3. Do you have fuel spray when cranking?
4. What is the fuel pressure?
5. What is the cranking compression pressure?
Plugs are good, there is spark and there is fuel. PSI for fuel is 12. I have not done a crank compression test as I can't get the engine to optimal temperature for an accurate reading as truck wont run now and being cold could produce lower numbers if I were to just test it. But I guess I could to get a somewhat baseline. When it did run, it did not blow blue, white or grey smoke at all, zero oil leaks, zero leaks of any kind. New gaskets on everything, and I distributor gear is good. Timing is checked and good. Gears are good and not stripped. I disconnected the battery and will let it sit over night and maybe it will reset everything. Will be picking up a new ECU and PROM this weekend coming up. Will check back then..

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not done a crank compression test as I can't get the engine to optimal temperature for an accurate reading as truck wont run now and being cold could produce lower numbers if I were to just test it. But I guess I could to get a somewhat baseline.
There's surprisingly little difference between a "cold" compression test, and a "hot" compression test.

Timing is checked and good.
Ignition timing, or cam timing?

I disconnected the battery and will let it sit over night and maybe it will reset everything.
Fifteen seconds should do it.

ChevPasmore

Reaction score
There's surprisingly little difference between a "cold" compression test, and a "hot" compression test.

Ignition timing, or cam timing?

Fifteen seconds should do it.
Ignition and cam timing is good. I am not working on the truck anymore today. So I am just leaving it unplugged over night. But my money is on the ECU still has the 5.0 PROM in it and not a 5.7.