98 RCSB Old School Retro.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZWilson07

Reaction score
Great work. That's one part of the field I still have yet to be able to even start to master. What do you guys do to prevent any contamination when shooting out of your garage? I have seen a lot of home brew setups with plastic hanging and fans running with filters but yours doesn't seem like anything to crazy.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I open the front overhead door about 3" and have a box fan fitted to a window in the rear. In warm weather I can't paint after dark as the lights are bug magnets. In winter I have a hot air furnace in the attic that keeps it cozy. I did pipe the compressor air filter into the attic too so it doesn't suck dust and paint. I don't usually paint complete cars as it puts a lot of paint smell out the window and I don't want to upset neighbors. I am 64 and work from home but just do small dent and scratch jobs mostly involving a couple panels at a time.
I find that most dirt and dust in paint jobs comes from either other work going on in a shop or dirt coming from the job being painted. Careful masking and cleaning the vehicle before paint really helps.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't usually paint complete cars but this week A job that was supposed to be strip and paint Hood Roof and trunk for clearcoat delamination turned into a complete paint. All finish sanding after priming was wet sanding outside with a hose to keep the car rinsed off. I then washed all the jambs including trunk gcaltutters and under hood with small scrub brush before masking. Before painting I spend at least a half hr. with a blow gun cleaning all gaps and around windows. I then blow off my clothes and wipe with a tack rag and spray the base three coats for this car. I let the base dry for about a half hr. and retack the car before clear. By the time I was spraying clear it was dark I thought it was cold enough so no bugs but I did get three very small flys of some sort. Two were easily removed with a piece of tape as it was the first coat of clear. One landed after I was done spraying and I plucked it out with a thin pair of tweezers. My cell phone cam is very fuzzy lately but you can see I got good shine and practically no dust or dirt. I will sand and buff the top surfaces but the sides are good to go.
You must be registered for see images attach

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did sweep the floor before pulling the car in to paint but I don;t wet the floor as it raises humidity and also you are holding a wet hose over the car when painting.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Back to my truck, Left side painted buffed a assembled. I painted the mirrors and door handles silver as I thought the black was to much contrast.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I left the roof white as I am looking for an older style. Before A/C was popular a lot of cars and trucks had white roofs and over the years I have owned at least 5 old cars with white roofs so I wanted to see how it worked. I also changed the door handles to the Kodiac style. My brother is a lobster fisherman and has a 3500 HD box truck in his yard that uses as a refridgerated bait cooler. It has a blown motor and is going nowhere so I swapped out the handles.

I highly reccommend this swap for you guys with lifted trucks. You don't lift up to open just pull. Plus they don't break like the pickup handles. I did have ti modify my lock cylinders to work but still an easy swap.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Then repainted the tailgate and bumper filler and installed. I think the bumper filler painted body color outlines the grill and flows into the fender extensions better than the silver.