98 RCSB Old School Retro.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks Kenny. One of the things I like to do with my vehicles is to personalize them without just buying add ons that everyone else has already bolted on. Plus I enjoy trying to make things nice without spending a ton of money.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks Kenny. One of the things I like to do with my vehicles is to personalize them without just buying add ons that everyone else has already bolted on. Plus I enjoy trying to make things nice without spending a ton of money.
We have that in common. I am the same way. I built the stainless steel tips on my truck, and did all the work converting over to dual exhaust. I got a tail pipe from the salvage yard, cut it up, and add some exhaust piping I bought from O'Rilleys and built my second tail pipe to go around my spare tire.View media item 25255

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I then decided to address the rusty base trim level wheels. I had stripped the clear and polished my S-10 wheels till they were close to chrome shiny. But living in New England was tough to keep them like that and required a lot of time to maintain them. So to have a soap and water cleanup wheel I decided to go with paint and stainless. Since the truck was white I felt it needed something to brighten it up.

You must be registered for see images attach

Then a weekend of scrubbing clay bar compounding, polishing and finally a coat of wax. The first time the truck had seen that in many years.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea Kenny it seems us older guys with family obligations and retirement planning put off to late have different prioritys with our money. I have gotten to the point in life to realize I will not be getting rich so instead of working my tail off for things I don't need I just work hard enough to pay the bills and try not to create bigger bills.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I make less than half the money I did 2 years ago. My job is a good job though, and I am home every night. No more working in the Gulf of Mexico. As for Family, well. It is just my wife and I. My son took his life
on October 20, last year. His birthday was on Christmas day. My Daughter is trans gender, and does not talk to us any more (her choice). My Mom is 93 and is in an assisted living facility. We do not have and can not have any grand children.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Even if your wife is your only family now you still have to keep her in mind when spending money on things that make you happy. Don't give up on your daughter either just pray that she will someday let you back in her life. I made some bad decisions about 10 years ago that caused a separation and me living in a garage apt. for 7 months. I joined a church and changed my life and my wife forgave me. My daughter was a different story she hated me for years and I have prayed for her forgiveness. Things are a lot better with us now but still have a way to go. Funny thing about my daughter was when I got the S-10 offered to me she had an old 88 cherokee. I offered the truck to her and she said I don't want to drive a truck. So I gave her the 896 Cherokee I was driving and I took the truck. Now she has an 08 Silverado Z-71 extra cab all blacked out. So me helping her out with her truck has helped our relationship a lot.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In this pic you can see the black tabs on the bottom of the gate that hold the tailgate protector in place by hooking over the bottom. They also chafe the paint off and a little rust was starting. So I first remover the decal that I never really liked.

Fixed a couple minor dings primed and painted. I found a nice emblem on E Bay that came from a 62 Nova trunk lid I think. I had to fill the hollow backside with bondo and them attached it with double sided moulding tape.

I made the rack with some 2x4's so I can carry long pieces of lumber for my boat building hobby. The wood bed rails are actually hand rails from a boat cabin top.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The truck had a very annoying leak on the passenger side since I got it. After it rained the blower motor case would get water in it and when you turned on the blower it would come out on the floor mat. I have rubber floor mat instead of carpet so easy to wipe up but still a problem. I removed the blower motor and reached up into the cowl plenum, I could feel a foam seal that was coming apart. Not being ready to pull the dash and heater case I went to the water source under the hood. I covered the cowl plenum on the pass. side with a piece of plastic antifreeze jug as a temp fix that hasn't leaked a drop in over 3 years. So much for temp fix.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In the next three years of driving this truck I got to like it more and more. It drives like new with no squeeks or rattles gets close to 20 mpg and except for a quick connect heater hose fitting breaking on the intake manifold it hasn't let me down.
The hood must have blown open at some point in it's life as it was buckled in the rear corners both sides. Being white it wasn't very noticeable but it bothered me as it was right in front of me. When I got an chance to buy a parts truck with a rusted frame for 300.00 I had my new hood as well as new tires and sliding rear window.

I sold the 5 speed trans for 150.00 so I did ok.