98 GMC K2500 454 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
That just sucks man, and is really ridiculous on their part. I'd try to pay it off as fast as possible. As far as the issue with it, I'm not sure what you had to do to use your GM ignition box, but did you try to determine if that could be shorting out somewhere in that circuit? Not that its the problem, but at this point who knows haha

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
That just sucks man, and is really ridiculous on their part. I'd try to pay it off as fast as possible. As far as the issue with it, I'm not sure what you had to do to use your GM ignition box, but did you try to determine if that could be shorting out somewhere in that circuit? Not that its the problem, but at this point who knows haha
I disconnected that thing a while ago just never pulled it out of the engine bay.

Theres an adapter harness I bought from JEGS so it was plug and play install. Easy enough.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Gotcha, yeah that's a weird issue that I've never heard about before... it dies in reverse too? That makes no sense that it only dies when you put it in gear.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
I wonder if its something wiring related thats messed up in the column where it kills it when it goes in to drive. Does it run/drive in 3rd? And when it dies, do you lose all power or does it just shut the motor off?

Sorry if you're repeating yourself lol

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Still have power the motor just shuts off. Sometimes it can take a few seconds before itll die, other times ive made it about two blocks before it does it. Its not acting like the torque converter is locking and seizing the motor. I know what that feels like. Sometimes it shuts off like I killed the igniton. Other times it sputters for a second before it finally dies.

It needs lower intake gaskets still regardless lol.

If I keep it I'm fixing those then seeing how it runs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Yeah, that sounds like an engine sensor issue, not really a electrical wiring issue......

I'm not sure though, my 454 never had intake gasket issues so I can't comment on what that may or may not do. I do know distributor cap, rotor, MAF sensors and fuel pumps can make Vortec engines do funky crap... Also my Vortec 454 would never throw codes even when it had issues. Its hard to tell, that's a weird problem. I've seen a bad MAF sensor make a complete wreck of a vortec 5700 and then after it was replaced it ran like a top. Same with distributor cap and rotor.

You've got me stumped, I would probably try and test fuel pressure in neutral and again in drive. No idea why it could starve the motor of fuel in only drive but its worth a shot... I'm not sure how you test the MAF sensors, I know they have cleaners for them but supposedly cold air intakes make them dirty if you have a cold air intake on the truck.

I haven't been following the whole thread, sorry if its duplicate advice. lol

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
I just re-read the whole thing, I'm lost. I hate trying to track down issues on these vortec motors sometimes, so many sensors haha