'97 pcm in a '00 obs 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue975speed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a pretty far fetched idea of sorts and it may involve a pcm swap.... will a 98-00 truck accept a pcm out of a 97 and not freak out if I use the wiring harness from the 97? If so, what are some features that a 98-00 truck has that the 97 wouldn't?

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I believe the 97 PCM was a sort of crappy version of the OBDII System, It would work but it would be a downgrade and would likeley need retuned anyways.. i'm sure someone else will chime in with more info.
May I ask why you would want to do this? The PCM's for these are a dime a dozen.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
keep the one the one you have or switch to a 411 pcm then your can have better tunes

+1, why in the world would you want to use a worse PCM? the 98 GMT400's also has several components that the 96-97 didn't so you'll lose functionalitly, things like gas tank pressure sensor, EVAP vent valve control, fuel tank level (96-97 went straight to the gauge, 98+ go through the PCM first, a '97 PCM will not have any funtionality for this), and likely a few other things, I'm guessing you're talking about your '97 and '00 in your sig? if so you'll have lots of problems and extra cost since the '97 is a manual trans, and the '00 is a 4L80e.

not to mention MUCH less support from tuning software. you'd need a tune on the 97 PCM for it to work anyways. if you're going to swap PCMs go with one that is better, faster, and has more support like the 411.

the 411 will work with you '00 and it's stock harness (you're '97 can be upgraded to the 411 too), if you're not familiar with the swap here's my writeup on it:
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/12200411.html

Last edited:

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
+1, why in the world would you want to use a worse PCM? the 98 GMT400's also has several components that the 96-97 didn't so you'll lose functionalitly, things like gas tank pressure sensor, EVAP vent valve control, fuel tank level (96-97 went straight to the gauge, 98+ go through the PCM first, a '97 PCM will not have any funtionality for this), and likely a few other things, I'm guessing you're talking about your '97 and '00 in your sig? if so you'll have lots of problems and extra cost since the '97 is a manual trans, and the '00 is a 4L80e.

not to mention MUCH less support from tuning software. you'd need a tune on the 97 PCM for it to work anyways. if you're going to swap PCMs go with one that is better, faster, and has more support like the 411.

the 411 will work with you '00 and it's stock harness (you're '97 can be upgraded to the 411 too), if you're not familiar with the swap here's my writeup on it:
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/12200411.html

This guy is the bomb :hail:

Blue975speed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My plan is to take the motor from the '97 and a nv4500 from the scrap yard or use the 3500 that I have ( I know weaker trans don't flame me) because the frame and body on the 97 are in poor condition and the 00 is almost fixed, and put them into the 00. I was thinking of using the '97's pcm because i have the whole truck and harness. I was looking into the 411 pcm swap but if i can get away with using the 00 pcm and just tuning out the auto trans that would save me a lot of headaches.

Edit: the frame is broke on the 97 and I'm not willing to go through the pain of putting a frame under a rusted out truck. if the body were in fair shape it would be a different story.

Last edited:

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah you'd be better off with the '00 PCM, but for less than $100 (+tuning), and the far more support you'll get from the 411, it's worth it, and like I mentioned, it'll work with the '00 harness as it is, so you wouldn't have to spend your time swapping any harness stuff out either, its just a simple re-pin of the PCM connectors, and a tune.

sounds like a cool project though.

Blue975speed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats kinda what I was thinking, I could always load a 5.7 liter manual transmission base tune on the 411 or even the 00 pcm and go from there, even though the automatic stuff is still plugged into the pcm. it would ignore the automatic part wouldn't it?