97 GMC Suburban K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homeijer

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi I've never even been on a forum until about three days ago and then i haven't even closed out on my iPhone so I can look while I'm at school.:)
I'm seventeen and this is my first truck. She is a 1997 GMC Suburban K1500 SLT with the 5.7 350. Unfortunately not much has been done to her so far. I painstakingly pulled off the Bug Guard (the screws where rusted and there was a lot of broken plastic and the screws are still in the hood. And for my birthday my mom got me a sound system because its to much for her to pay to lift it. Kenwood stereo, Hertz front speakers, Herts Amp, and two twelve inch Kicker subs. I'm Just posting the pictures I have on my phone and computer and will have many more pictures and plans very shortly.
First day I got her,(took the pictures the morning after before i went to school and couldn't stare out the window)
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here are my subs
attachment.php

Then my parking spot at school, who needs white lines and asphalt :)
attachment.php

I got her about a year ago because I was going to start racing dirt modified and my moms Acadia would really get the job done( unfortunately that has not happened yet but hopefully ill be in a slingshot at the end of the month). I got her with 136000 miles and she pretty much sat because I only had my permit. I had to replace the brake lines, differential cover, gas tank. I still need to fix the A/C before it gets warm, replace the muffler (thinking magna flow) fix the squeak on the dirver's side window and figure out how the hell to fix the belt squeak PLEASE HELP ME!!!. we also unhooked the abs because it was making some weird ass noise. Now she's my daily driver since Dec. and has 142000 miles.

My plans are to lift her at least 6" looking at rough country 17" rims with as big tires as I can fit. Debadge paint all black and incorporate orange either pin-striping or full length stripe on the side idk. roof rack heavy duty front bumper with winch. change the side steps to tubular once lifted so i can get in. ummm... thats all i can remember right now.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice looking truck and for the muffler go Magnaflow I run there Magnapack sounds perfect

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

rccoco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice burb man! Very clean. My first vehicle was a suburban and which i still have as a weekend driver/project

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
I want a suburban. I really like the two tone combo on that one.

You probably can't even feel those 2 12s in that huge thing. :lol:

homeijer

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. This is going to be a slow build because the $ is going to racing first but i really hope to get a lot done. And about the subs they do just fine but i am slowly going immune to their awesome bass :(. But everyone else who gets in can only say Damnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!! Here are some more pictures:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Kenwood Radio
attachment.php

attachment.php

Hertz Speakers
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yes im missing my big 24 and my hendrick motor sports decals
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I decided to give it a fade to the bottom :)
attachment.php

attachment.php

Yes its a dirt fade
1. If anyone knows how to get rid of the belt squeak it would really be helpful.
2. Also if someone could tell me how to safely remove the driver door panel to grease the window.
3. What is the largest tire on stock rim that i can fit in the wheel well, with and without having to trim.
4. Looking for new rims around the same size and in good condition, maybe rally rims? idk. if you now anything please tell me looking in the nj area willing to go pretty far.

homeijer

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1 i have know idea, its been going on since i got her and the only idea my mechanic had was to put soap on the belt, and that works for about five minutes. When i got a new belt it helped until it got cold.:(
2 thanks
3 255/70 r16s. once shes lifted i want 17"x12.5" rims i was told i couldn't put that wide on yet (so second opinion) and right now im justlooking for a beefy of a tire i can fit for looks really. I thinking DC f.c radial II?

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For the squeak, I would say maybe a tensioner pulley? you may also check and make sure you haven't broke and brackets on the front of the motor. The power steering bracket broke on our 88 and it made one heck of a squeaking noise... it drove me crazy

homeijer

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow didn't even realize how long its been since ive posted anything on this form just read everyone else's. But i guess this is more of a day to day thing then build since i restricted by $ :( haha especially since my dirt car. Regardless im still a pic ***** so heres what happened since. My Uncle's a 97 Chevy K1500 ECSB and thing thing is awesome its been through hell and back. If he ever wants to get rid of it (unlikely) i want to rebuild it to stock perfection, with a massive lift of course, for him. But anyway He recently dropped a new engine in her so he got a gmc parts truck, haha yea he put on the gmc front end so it says gmc on the front and chevy on the tailgate. Not quite sure why he needed the new engine but i cant even imagine how miles were on the old one. But My girl got her legs stretched because he had some fuel pump issues shortly after rebuild.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

He was on his way to another uncles with that uncles son (his nephew my cousin) and a bed full of wood. so i used the tow strap to pull him to the house. Then we went and picked up his friends trailer then the first of two bad things happened. He didnt let my drive my own truck cause it wasn't his trailer :( i dont like when people drive my truck i dont even let my mom. Anyway we then had to push his truck up the trailer and somehow he was the one steering and my other uncle and two little cousins had to push, once we got it up i was told to get in the drivers seat and hold the brakes. So i did so and we got the come along adn started pulling. after being confused on why the truck wasnt going anywhere and we bent the bar on the front of the trailer, he asked me if it was in park, my dumbass didnt check and was concered about steering straight so we didnt have to push again. And of course it was, that was the second bad thing.