97 CMP Offset PID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to determine if my stalling problem is related to the CMP offset.

Driving it yesterday it was fine cold but as it got warmed up it started stalling when accellerating from a stop. It would easily restart and I could manipulate the throttle to keep it running and accellerate (seems to run better when pedal is depressed further) but it would repeat at the next stop and seemed to be getting progressively worse.

Hello WiCruiser-97,

Did you ever come up with a solution for this problem. Was the code that you referenced in
the original post happen to be a P1345? Were you ever able to get the 'CMP retart' setting
to report what's actually happening?

Just curious. Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this subject.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '97 K2500 7.4L ran just fine with 29 degrees of cam offset showing on the scan tool. I re-set the distributor to correct it within spec, and it didn't drive any differently.

First Guess: Something ELSE is causing your driveability problems.

Verify fuel pressure when the vehicle misbehaves. Verify ALL the sensors and computer outputs, fuel trims, misfire counts for each individual cylinder.

Vortecs are infamous for distributor-cap problems, distributor gear problems, and distributor shaft bushing problems. And the small-blocks 'n' V6 are cursed with the poppet-injector spiders until someone corrects that with the upgraded electronic injector spider.

Last edited:

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Road trip, the stalling problem was low fuel level in the tank. I had removed the tank to install a new pump, etc. and when I reinstalled it I only put 5 gallons of fuel in. That amount of fuel left the level in the tank low enough that when accellerating the fuel all sloshed to away from the pump pick-up.

I was able to get the CMP Offset adjusted using an OBD reader and an Android app. Initially I was having trouble with the app but I determined that the problem was my phone, once I switched to using a more modern tablet I was able to read CMP Offset and get it adjusted.