Using BFX OBDII reader for CMP offset

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like the Android”s always had an easier time with these than iiPhone”s though. You do have the BAFX for android I’m guessing right, as I have the BAFX iPhone dongle(I hate that name)?

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Decided to try downloading the app to my wife's table (much newer than my phone) and it connected!

I proceeded to purchase the GM PIDs and hope to finally be able to see where my CMP Offset is at. A little strange but when I used the DashCommand app to clear the code for CMP it did not come back right away, it always did in the past.

Thanks again for your support.

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now I can see the CMP Offset I find that it was -26 but cannot rotate distributor enough to get to zero, moved distributor one tooth and still cannot rotate the distributor enough - best I can get is +8. I will research and potentially start a new thread related to the adjustment problem.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it was -26° and you rotated to +8°, then you passed by 0°.

dilerin

Reaction score
I purchased the BFX OBDII reader (Android WiFi version) and downloaded the Torque Pro app. I was able to connect the two and see general engine operation information but not able to see CMP Offset on my 1997 C1500.
I read somewhere that the DashCommand app would allow me to read CMP Offset so I downloded the app but it will not connect with the BFX OBDII reader.

Anyone have any insight how to get the DashCommand app to connect to the BFX? If I am successful in getting a connection anyone have any success reading CMP Offset with Dash Command?

I am on the list for the commiunity scan tool but it appears it will be a while (2-3 months) before I work my way to the top so I'm still looking for viable alternatives. I am not willing to pay my local dealer or one of the local independent shops to learn how to set the CMP Offset at shop labor rates these days.
I have a 1998 K2500, 5.7L gas, Vortec. I, too, want to set CMP Offset. I bought DashCommand app yesterday (Jan 1), only to inquire and learn from them that the app is not available for their device. I now await my refund. I checked-in here looking for help.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry. I meant that they said that CMP Offset for my vehicle is not on their list of things that can be added to their app.
Did you buy the in app purchase for 1998 GM? Makes no sense you can’t get CMP, I got it for my 96.

dilerin

Reaction score
Did you buy the in app purchase for 1998 GM? Makes no sense you can’t get CMP, I got it for my 96.
I bought the DashCommand $9.99 app for my vehicle ('98 K2500 4X4 5.7L Vortec) and tried to buy and add the corresponding GM PID package. The app itself said it was not available for my vehicle as did a Live Chat guy and an email guy. As improbable as that sounds to you, I can only report what the app and two independent representatives told me.

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Strange, I was able to buy the GM PID package and use it for my '97 to set CMP Offset.