Using BFX OBDII reader for CMP offset

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The app itself said it was not available for my vehicle
You must be registered for see images attach

I just opened my app and it’s clearly showing it’s available. I didn’t attempt to purchase it, maybe that’s where it fails. Were you able to purchase “GM 1998 extended parameters”(and it failed to work) or it wasn’t available? Also, when I purchased mine for 1996, they told me flat out TFT(transmission fluid temperature) wasn’t available for my truck. It definitely is, so I’m not sure these guys really know much about their own product.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yep. Just because they answer the phone, doesn't mean they're qualified to. :(

I haven't used this app or talked with the people, just my experience in general with contacting various companies. It's to the point that helpful and knowledgeable people are the exception to the rule, and it's always a pleasant surprise when you get one of them.

Richard

dilerin

Reaction score
Strange, I was able to buy the GM PID package and use it for my '97 to set CMP Offset.
The preponderance of opinion here on the forum seems to be that the GM PID package SHOULD be available to me, so I'm going to download, buy, and try DashCommand again. As previously noted, mine is a 1998 K2500 4X4 5.7L Vortec. Could there be a difference between a 1997 and my 1998? We'll see. I'll report back.

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My problem with the app was apparently my phone was not able to communicate with the reader I have, once I installed the app on my wife's tablet (much newer) commincation was established and I was able to view/set the CMP Offset. As I recall when the app is purchased you can install it on multiple devices so it was not a problem to install on the second device.

dilerin

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I just opened my app and it’s clearly showing it’s available. I didn’t attempt to purchase it, maybe that’s where it fails. Were you able to purchase “GM 1998 extended parameters”(and it failed to work) or it wasn’t available? Also, when I purchased mine for 1996, they told me flat out TFT(transmission fluid temperature) wasn’t available for my truck. It definitely is, so I’m not sure these guys really know much about their own product.
I got a refund in less than a day (PayPal), which was great. I then deleted, reacquired and then rebought DashCommand and then bought the extended parameters package. The only glitch encountered was that it took me a while to discover that I had to click on a tiny + sign in the upper right hand corner of the "Data Grid" page to get the drop-down that allows selecting and adding the PID I wanted from the extended parameters package. Everything now works.
I would be willing to pay more for products that include a comprehensive user guide or manual. There is too much time and frustration expended blindly trying this and trying that to get something to work. It can be interesting, or even fun, but not when you're trying to get your damned vehicle sorted out. The DashCommand manual is fairly well written but lacks the necessary depth.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just play with it, you’ll figure it out. Check PIDS you like, and then look at them in Data Grid. Setting up gauges are simple enough.

WKing

Reaction score
Looking to check or possibly correct my CMP offset but I can’t find the bafx obd2 reader. Does anyone have a link or know of another
brand that works with iPhone?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something is going on with BAFX, I have one, but can’t see it for sale anymore. Read this thread, this guy is using a VeePeak and works with DashCommand.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Something is going on with BAFX, I have one, but can’t see it for sale anymore. Read this thread, this guy is using a VeePeak and works with DashCommand.
For quite a while now their website has said "no products found" on the OBD2 bluetooth page. I sent them a message about it and got no response. Now amazon doesn't show them, either.

They really are a great product but I wonder if BAFX no longer has any interest in them. They sell a lot of random stuff that has no relevance to automotive diagnostics so it's not a big surprise to see them kind of fade away. I'm glad I replaced mine recently as somehow my other one got lost - I had set it aside to loan to a friend and forgot to take it to him, and it disappeared. I almost never lose anything and it's perplexed me ever since; it's probably inside a vehicle somewhere and who knows which one and where? :(

On my "previous orders" page from amazon, shows "currently unavailable"
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS

Richard