'97 Stalling after warmed up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a '97 with a 5.0 that I recently rebuilt (bearling, rings, oil pump, timing chain, etc.) that I purchase dnot running after sitting for several years. Installed new fuel pump/sending unit in the tank. Set the distributor to the initial "8" setting but have not been able to set the CMP Offset so I have a code for crank-cam timing.

It starts and runs, drives, etc. but after it warms up it starts to hesitate when accellerating from a stop. The problem progresses to the point where it will stall when trying to accellerate. It restarts easily and I can generally manipulate the throttle to keep it running and accellerate but then it repeats at the next stop. It seems to get worse as the engine continues to warm up (although the coolant temperature remains well in control). When it stalls it is just like you turned off the key.

I initially thought it may be injector deposits from sitting but fuel injection cleaner has not seemed to improve the situation.

I am on the list (I think) to get the community scan tool to set the CMP but that may be a while and in the mean time I would like to determine if there is something esle I should be looing into.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How old are the usual tune-up items? Distributor cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs, fuel filter, air filter, PCV system check, EGR system check, etc.

When you get the scan tool, verify ALL the sensors and computer outputs--electronic timing advance, IAC, EGR, etc.

Goofy ignition switch, killing power to the ignition and/or fuel injection?

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, and fuel filter are all new. The PCV and EGR appear to be okay.

I am embarrased ot say the problem was apparently low fuel in the tank. I have been avoiding putting too much fuel in the tank as I already dropped it once and installed a new pump/sending unit but with 9-10 gallons of fuel added the guage still is reading "E". I have only driven about 50 miles so did not anticipate it would be low on fuel but apparently it was. I added about 4 gallons and so far it is running okay.