97 4L60E ~ 213K Miles: Sudden P1870, Harsh shift from 1-2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just ordered this, it is simple enough to try what the hell I have chased my tail this far lol. I will post a update when it comes and I get it in. Thanks very much

No problem. Hardest part was clip removal.

Once you get you code cleared it will shift like normal.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Whew...no reaming on that valve replacement? I can see it working if ONLY the valve is worn. Usually, the bore in the valve body wears, too...which is the reason for the sleeve style kits.

I guess it's cheap enough to try, though!

Richard

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any re-learn procedure ? Or just clear code and go !

No just clear code. I cleared code before the fix and trans was fine for driving around town. When driving on highway and the tcc locks would cause code and hard shift. After fix it’s been good. Even towing through the mountains. I watch my trans temp gauge to make sure it doesn’t run to hot towing.

Original engine and transmission. Currently has 208k miles on clock.

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whew...no reaming on that valve replacement? I can see it working if ONLY the valve is worn. Usually, the bore in the valve body wears, too...which is the reason for the sleeve style kits.

Richard

I think both were wore on mine. The TCC valve is harder than the aluminum valve body so it wears out the bore. The kit I used came with oversized o-rings and was a very tight fit.

I’d assume if the bore is really worn then the kit I used won’t work since the orings won’t seal.

It’s worth a try and if it doesn’t work you need the reaming kit or a new valve body.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think both were wore on mine. The TCC valve is harder than the aluminum valve body so it wears out the bore. The kit I used came with oversized o-rings and was a very tight fit.

I’d assume if the bore is really worn then the kit I used won’t work since the orings won’t seal.

It’s worth a try and if it doesn’t work you need the reaming kit or a new valve body.
Cheap enough for a try, and considering I wanted to put a pan on with a drain anyway , so I will get that done at the same time.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No just clear code. I cleared code before the fix and trans was fine for driving around town. When driving on highway and the tcc locks would cause code and hard shift. After fix it’s been good. Even towing through the mountains. I watch my trans temp gauge to make sure it doesn’t run to hot towing.

Original engine and transmission. Currently has 208k miles on clock.
Cheap enough for a try, and considering I wanted to put a pan on with a drain anyway , so I will get that done at the same time.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Richard
I will try the cheap fix first and then if it don't work I will go with a valve body. Thanks for your help Richard

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Valve came today, quick delivery ! I have everything together except waiting on new pan with drain plug and I ordered a lube locker gasket. I am anxious to get to this and see if it will be woo hoo or damnit man =)

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Valve came today, quick delivery ! I have everything together except waiting on new pan with drain plug and I ordered a lube locker gasket. I am anxious to get to this and see if it will be woo hoo or damnit man =)

Should be good if the valve goes in tightly and you lubed o rings so they didn’t tear. Clear code and go for a long test drive to get transmission up to temp.

Let us know!