97 4L60E ~ 213K Miles: Sudden P1870, Harsh shift from 1-2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok guys here is the results... I pulled it out and the clip is a little bit a pain but not bad once you have everything you need under the truck. As discussed before about worn bores in the valve body's , well these o-rings on this new valve takes up the slop in the bore they are a very tight fit, takes a little working to get it pushed back in, but they do send a extra set of o-rings with the kit. I can only assume they are in case you cut one or damage one trying to squeeze it back in.
It now has a drain plug pan on transmission and a good Lubelocker gasket. And here comes the good stuff !!! NO CODES, No BOUNCING in and out of OD my transmission troubles are gone ! Thank you 97K1500silverado very much for the info. No valve body removal was needed to do this.
Here is the ******, I payed big bucks to get the transmission rebuilt and still had the same problem when it came home. and for a grand total of 120.00 bucks for everything it is finally solved! :33:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'n susrprised the builder didn't mechanically disable the TCC PWM, my neighbor owns a trans shop and does it to every single 4L60 he touches.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'n susrprised the builder didn't mechanically disable the TCC PWM, my neighbor owns a trans shop and does it to every single 4L60 he touches.
I hate to bad mouth a shop but if there was ever a deserving idiot it was Leesburg Transmissions, and me the next biggest idiot for going there. Three trips back and still had the problem, last time I called he had shut the doors after years and years of being in business.

I got ***** for around 2400.00 and I had him do some other things that brought the total to 2700.00. And here is the kicker after a return number two I questioned him on the valve body because I had read in the past of the bores being a problem he says oh no we dismantle and clean up every valve body and everything was in specs on your valve body !!!!

And in the past it was a good shop, I had my truck put on a roll back and had it hauled to him 60 miles away because of bad reps with shops in my area, hell the ones with bad reps could have done no worse and I could have saved the tow bill.

Last edited:

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OldBlue98. Glad to hear it worked out! talk about a cheap and relatively easy fix! I was super stoked it worked on mine and has held up! I think getting rid of the spring helps because now it’s either on or off vs the factory setup which was designed for smooth torque converter lockup.

Mine feels as smooth during lockup with this kit but that’s probably due to over 200k on everything. Lol.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OldBlue98. Glad to hear it worked out! talk about a cheap and relatively easy fix! I was super stoked it worked on mine and has held up! I think getting rid of the spring helps because now it’s either on or off vs the factory setup which was designed for smooth torque converter lockup.

Mine feels as smooth during lockup with this kit but that’s probably due to over 200k on everything. Lol.
I am pleased , it has been a thorn in my ass for a long time . Thanks again

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hate to bad mouth a shop but if there was ever a deserving idiot it was Leesburg Transmissions, and me the next biggest idiot for going there. Three trips back and still had the problem, last time I called he had shut the doors after years and years of being in business.

I got ***** for around 2400.00 and I had him do some other things that brought the total to 2700.00. And here is the kicker after a return number two I questioned him on the valve body because I had read in the past of the bores being a problem he says oh no we dismantle and clean up every valve body and everything was in specs on your valve body !!!!

And in the past it was a good shop, I had my truck put on a roll back and had it hauled to him 60 miles away because of bad reps with shops in my area, hell the ones with bad reps could have done no worse and I could have saved the tow bill.

Don’t feel bad. Unfortunately $hit happens. Hell taxes for a new truck is more than you trans rebuild in my state if that makes you feel any better.

Point being everything’s expensive these days and $100 or $1000 doesn’t seem to go that far or get you much.

Don’t get me wrong I’d be pissed too. Hopefully they did a good job on everything else.

My 97 cost 36k new in 1997. That equals 56k in 2018 dollars

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No, an instant lock is very smooth. It still has a psi per second rate at which the lock is applied. My dually's TCC lock min and max tables are all set to 100% and there is no harshness whatsoever.

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, an instant lock is very smooth. It still has a psi per second rate at which the lock is applied. My dually's TCC lock min and max tables are all set to 100% and there is no harshness whatsoever.

Good to know. I must admint I have very limited knowledge on transmission internals. And have read maybe too many tips on the Internet lol.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good to know. I must admint I have very limited knowledge on transmission internals. And have read maybe too many tips on the Internet lol.
My son was one hell of a automotive troubleshooter, elect, transmissions etc he was quiet a guy with cars and was my go to guy when I was stumped, I miss the hell out of him.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What a great option for those experiencing the worn valve body problem these transmissions are known for. For a few bucks and some effort it sure is worth a try before going the more expensive route of reaming/repairing, or replacing the valve body.

Glad to hear it worked for you! Keep us posted in this thread as you stack up the miles.

Richard