97 1500 steering box replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ahirlo

Reaction score
Hey Guys
Looking to replace the steering box on my truck 20400 miles leaking and loose who makes the best rebuilt box? Any advice on issues removing and replacing one
Thanks for any information

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Guys
Looking to replace the steering box on my truck 20400 miles leaking and loose who makes the best rebuilt box? Any advice on issues removing and replacing one
Thanks for any information

Roll of the dice. Pretty sure there are only 3 or less rebuilders that slap different labels on the same rebuilt box.

I got mine from Napa and it’s been good. I lost the return to center on the original steering box at 170k miles. Idler and pitman were replaced around 125k.

Truck now drives like new. Still on original tie rod ends and ball joints at 210k!

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here’s a thread with some information.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/steering-box.44132/

I have a Bluetop (which I would buy again, awesome customer service) and had a RedHead in a Bronco a while back that gave me no issues. I had a Delco reman that was loose right out of the box.

Some have reported quality issues with RedHead lately, but they’re still probably a much better choice than most parts store versions which, like most things, seem to be hit or miss.

They’re all going to be remans, you’re shopping for the most conscientious rebuilder at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bustedknuckles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Roll of the dice. Pretty sure there are only 3 or less rebuilders that slap different labels on the same rebuilt box.

I got mine from Napa and it’s been good. I lost the return to center on the original steering box at 170k miles. Idler and pitman were replaced around 125k.

Truck now drives like new. Still on original tie rod ends and ball joints at 210k!
You say you lost the return to center. What do you mean, can you explain. When im in a curve my wheel wont return to center/ straight. It will stay turned until you turn it back and then it over compisates. What can it be?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You say you lost the return to center. What do you mean, can you explain. When im in a curve my wheel wont return to center/ straight. It will stay turned until you turn it back and then it over compisates. What can it be?

What year is your truck? This sounds like classic symptoms of the EVO steering sensor on the column going bad and locking the system in full boost.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
If you do end up replacing the box, I have a RedHead Quick-Ratio in my 93 and I love it! Its expensive but very worth it compared to having to buy/install/uninstall/return for a different one 3 or 5 times through a local parts store before you get a good one.

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Wheel wouldn’t return to center. It would not stick on a corner but would require constant correction on Highway. Original box was never adjusted with screw which can make steering stick of adjustment screw is too tight.

New steering box took care of the no. Return to center. I also flushed the crap out of the system.

When I had my tune done at blackbear they disabled the speed sensitive steering so it’s one boost all the time. Before the time I unplugged the speed sensitive steering on the ps pump because I was sick of the jerky auto boost on the long sweeping turns.

RokRoland

Reaction score
This thread is interesting. I was thinking of getting a Redhead but apparently a core is required and I don't want to spend a fortune shipping my old steering box across the Atlantic. Any quality refurbishers out there who don't require a core?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure that RedHead used a USPS flat-rate box to ship their gear, so the return core would go back the same way.

It’s been a while, but the price wasn’t too bad. It was the largest box that the post office uses for flat-rate. Maybe $20?

Edit: Sorry, just saw that you’re in Europe so the above wouldn’t really help you much. If you didn’t return the core, you would just lose the core charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk