Lifter replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, you are right, there is a hole in the bottom of the lifter, so either the cam is worn, I need to replace both, lifters and cam.

But now I'm concern about the knocking noise, if the cam lobe is totally worn out and can´t move the rocker arm, what is making that hammering, I guess the only response is the valve damaged, anyway I´ll comment to my mechanic your recomendations.

I´ll open a thread about the new cam, I have a concerns about it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks Schurkey

Greetings MiGorda,

In subsequent posts to this one you are still advocating just installing a new,
upgraded cam into this motor as-is due to limited finances.

You've also had several members of this forum (with a sum total of well over a
hundred man-years of real-world engine experience) tell you that this is a bad idea.

What that cam lobe ground off of the bottom of your lifter is not corn starch.
It isn't coffee grounds. And it isn't soft babbit metal. It's *hardened* steel.

And your oil filter doesn't stop it all. Especially if it clogs up, and the bypass
opens up as a last-ditch effort to prevent guaranteed failure due to loss of oil
pressure. So now the *hardened* bits are pumped through all the soft main, rod,
and camshaft bearings. These bearings feature 'embed-ability', so that a stray bit
of debris here or there doesn't automatically lead to a damaged crank or cam
machined bearing surface.

But the amount of debris from that damaged lifter is way beyond what those bearings
were intended to accommodate. And we're not being ultra-fussy or absolutists about
this. And nobody here wants to cheer you on to install a Superman Cam, only to have
the low oil pressure from all the new excess clearances in your bearings end up stranding
you a long way from home with a seized engine. Or having Mr. Rodney install a new
window in the side of your block as he unceremoniously departs.

If you have some sort of emotional attachment to *this* engine, it can be fixed, but
it will take a complete disassembly, heroic cleaning effort, and rebuild to do so.

Anything less is just wishful thinking. At this point, if I were you I'd take my 'new camshaft budget',
and instead use it to swap in a quiet running used engine. (Best case is to see/hear a used
engine run before buying. Check for stray noises, low oil pressure, radiator huffing at idle,
etc.)

If the engine doesn't run but can be cranked over, then pull the plugs, observe the color,
signs of excess oil consumption, steam-cleaned in 1 cylinder, etc. Then run a compression
test, and if everything checks out then pull out the cash & make the deal.

The least-confidence scenario is to buy an engine that isn't running and there's no starter
to turn it over with. Pull the plugs & look carefully. With the plugs out, can you turn the
engine over with a breaker bar? Now it's more of a gamble, for we can't be sure if there
isn't a latent valvetrain problem that has yet to show up on the plugs?

But I digress. Buying an entire ugly but solid vehicle for short money just for the engine
is something that most of us in here have done when stuck in a similar snafu, because this
allows us to get a better feel for the donor motor...rather than buying a motor that's
sitting on the floor on blind faith with unknown history other than the seller's sales patter.

All of the above is just food for thought. A new cam in an old engine that's contaminated
with tiny hardened metal shrapnel is about as appealing as digging into a fine steak where
ground up glass was substitued for sea salt. Not recommended in either case.

Believe us when we all say that we would tell our best friends the same exact advice.

BTW, thanks for sharing that clear photo of the hole in the bottom of the lifter - that helped
a lot to get a better feel for the extent of the failure. Best of luck getting your wounded
vehicle back on the road. As fellow GMT400 owners, we're rootin' for ya!

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think his biggest issue is his location. While a lot of these trucks are getting shipped across the border, there's still not the plethora there that we have here. He also doesn't have a Pull-A-Part handy. He's having to mail-order his parts, and a new cam kit looks like a big red "easy" button.

MiGorda

Reaction score
Greetings MiGorda,

In subsequent posts to this one you are still advocating just installing a new,
upgraded cam into this motor as-is due to limited finances.

You've also had several members of this forum (with a sum total of well over a
hundred man-years of real-world engine experience) tell you that this is a bad idea.

What that cam lobe ground off of the bottom of your lifter is not corn starch.
It isn't coffee grounds. And it isn't soft babbit metal. It's *hardened* steel.

And your oil filter doesn't stop it all. Especially if it clogs up, and the bypass
opens up as a last-ditch effort to prevent guaranteed failure due to loss of oil
pressure. So now the *hardened* bits are pumped through all the soft main, rod,
and camshaft bearings. These bearings feature 'embed-ability', so that a stray bit
of debris here or there doesn't automatically lead to a damaged machined crank or
cam bearing surface.

But the amount of debris from that damaged lifter is way beyond what those bearings
were intended to accommodate. And we're not being ultra-fussy or absolutists about
this. And nobody here wants to cheer you on to install a Superman Cam, only to have
the low oil pressure from all the new excess clearances in your bearings end up stranding
you a long way from home with a seized engine. Or having Mr. Rodney install a new
window in the side of your block as he unceremoniously departs.

If you have some sort of emotional attachment to *this* engine, it can be fixed, but
it will take a complete disassembly, heroic cleaning effort, and rebuild to do so.

Anything less is just wishful thinking. At this point, if I were you I'd take my 'new camshaft budget',
and instead use it to swap in a quiet running used engine. (Best case is to see/hear a used
engine run before buying. Check for stray noises, low oil pressure, radiator huffing at idle,
etc.)

If the engine doesn't run but can be cranked over, then pull the plugs, observe the color,
signs of excess oil consumption, steam-cleaned in 1 cylinder, etc. Then run a compression
test, and if everything checks out then pull out the cash & make the deal.

The least-confidence scenario is to buy an engine that isn't running and there's no starter
to turn it over with. Pull the plugs & look carefully. With the plugs out, can you turn the
engine over with a breaker bar? Now it's more of a gamble, for we can't be sure if there
isn't a valvetrain problem that has yet to show up on the plugs?

But I digress. Buying an entire ugly but solid vehicle for short money just for the engine
is something that most of us in here have done when stuck in a similar snafu, because this
allows us to get a better feel for the donor motor...rather than buying a motor that's
sitting on the floor on blind faith with unknown history other than the seller's sales patter.

All of the above is just food for thought. A new cam in an old engine that's contaminated
with tiny hardened metal shrapnel is about as appealing as digging into a fine steak where
ground up glass was substitued for sea salt. Not recommended in either case.

Believe us when we all say that we would tell our best friends the same exact advice.

BTW, thanks for sharing that clear photo of the hole in the bottom of the lifter - that helped
a lot to get a better feel for the failure. Best of luck getting your wounded vehicle back
on the road. As fellow GMT400 owners, we're rootin' for ya!
I appreciate your answer and I understand perfectly what you and others say. I never said that I just put the cam and period but anyway I need a new cam and I would like to keep the springs.

My next step is to remove the cam and see the damage, ask to my mechanic for a full service fee and I'll analyse what can I do.

Maybe, my PT Cruiser becomes my daily driver and my truck my spare vehicle.

Thank you

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My next step is to remove the cam and see the damage, ask to my mechanic for a full service fee and I'll analyse what can I do.

Given your parts situation, maybe ask your mechanic if he knows of a good used
donor engine that's available? Most of the time mechanics have an ear to the ground
and know which customers have what stashed away for a rainy day?

It's tough to be in this predicament. At least you aren't limited to a tiny supply of Ferrari, vintage Jag,
or Lotus bits. Total SBC production over the years was well over 60 million for the original version?

Again, best of luck finding an affordable fix. It's out there...just gotta find it! :0)