Steering Box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am looking for a power steering box for my 1999 Suburban K1500 5.7. I found one that says it will fit a 1996 K1500 Suburban and up to a 1999 K1500 Silverado, but not a 97-99 Suburban. Was there any changes to the Suburban steering box through these years? I messaged the seller and they said it wouldn't fit my vehicle.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would second the thought on avoiding a parts store reman.

There was, apparently, a change in the gearboxes, though it looks to be internal. I suspect that the mounting points are all the same.

1992-96 K1500 Suburban: GM part number 26052912

You must be registered for see images attach

1997-99 K1500 Suburban: GM #26100345

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
97+ got EVO, so my guess is it has something to do with that. What's bigger on the HD boxes? I put one in my 1500.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does redhead offer any discount codes? How long do they take on refunding your core charge?

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FYI the earlier part numbers are different than the later ones in how the box's torsion valving is set up. If you install an early box with a late power steering pump, you will end up with heavier steering. I don't care for how overboosted GMT400s are stock, so my Tahoe Limited has the EVO delete and an early steering box - and it actually has some feel to it! If you like light steering, stick to the later box.

Reaction score
When I got mine from AGR Performance they really explained it well. You might give them a call. They machine their gearboxes for 2 bearings and 2 seals (28 and 63 I believe) on the first diagram.

A couple things that sold me on using them was they don't charge any core charges and they were in line with RH. They also build pumps so I felt that having a matched pump and gearbox from the same vendor was important and I got a 2 year warranty when I purchased their fluid which I needed anyway. I just unplugged the EVO connector and taped it up because thier pumps and gearboxes are not EVO compatible. They said nobody makes the EVO pump anymore but everything works great!

UGLYTRUK

Reaction score
I installed to lares steering boxe in my 1984 2500 Suburban 3/4 ton diesel, and another one in my now ex-wife 95 Suburban 2500 4 x 4 6.5 diesel. They're both junk. The one in the 95 had way too much steering effort, and I called them and the guy bs'd me.

There's something called a torque shaft, and it's kind of like a torsion bar. It determines how much steering effort you have. In a heavy truck you want the least amount of steering effort, it makes it easier to backup when you're moving a trailer around etc. Its not a sports car it's a truck, there's enough work to do with that cranking on the steering. After a few years, we yanked it and put a redhead in. It was a lot more money but you get what you pay for it. In my 84 there's a lot of play in the steering box, and it's just bargain rebuilds. I don't think it's much better than the original one that at 275 K. Same miles on the 95 6.5 Suburban. Volaris box retails for 150, and I ended up getting the local store to Discount into the $86 RockAuto price.

But it wasn't worth the huge amount of effort and time wasted.

When you call redhead, you can specify what torsion bar you want, anything from one-touch Lincoln Cadillac steering, to armstrong Trans Am 2.2 turns lock-to-lock. it's a simple matter of of changing the torsion bar when they're building the box. Lares claimed that they put in the original steering box torsion bar. I told the guy he was full of s*** in more pleasant words.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FYI the earlier part numbers are different than the later ones in how the box's torsion valving is set up. If you install an early box with a late power steering pump, you will end up with heavier steering. I don't care for how overboosted GMT400s are stock, so my Tahoe Limited has the EVO delete and an early steering box - and it actually has some feel to it! If you like light steering, stick to the later box.

That was my experience as well. I have two 98 4x4 models both with functioning EVO, one is a truck and the other a Tahoe. I have a Blue Top brand in my Tahoe and it’s a heavier feel that is so much better than the stock one in my truck. The Blue Top that I have is the 96 and under style.

The external difference seems to be at the steering shaft connection. The earlier ones have a c-clip and larger opening.

96-under

1997-98...

Last edited:

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That was my experience as well. I have two 98 4x4 models both with functioning EVO, one is a truck and the other a Tahoe. I have a Blue Top brand in my Tahoe and it’s a heavier feel that is so much better than the stock one in my truck. The Blue Top that I have is the 96 and under style.

The external difference seems to be at the steering shaft connection. The earlier ones have a c-clip and larger opening.

96-under

1997-98...

So you're happy with your blue top? I'm sending mine off tomorrow to be rebuilt by them.