96 Z71 "MILD Factory was mostly OK" build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Project400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was hoping somebody else would ask this. What is a u-bolt flip ? Sorry if it sounds stupid to ask this. Thanks

It's just removing the stock square u bolts that point down and stock spring plate and using regular u bolts pointing up with a different spring plate on 'top'

Project400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
...just piling on, folks like the flip since the way chevy delivered it water and crud sits in the bottom plate and can rust out the axle tube.

I'll probably not off-road this truck honestly
But I have seen pictures of spring plates that were almost rusted through
Those pictures are reason enough to flip them.

Also I have to buy U-bolts and plates anyhow

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
I've never even considered a U-bolt flip on any of my trucks, but if I lived in the rust belt I would make that one of the things on my to-do list!

They do hold mud and **** I've noticed though. Nothing to rust mine up terribly however.

Project400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm having a hell of a time piecing parts together because I'm cheap and/or a bargain shopper.
I did however find a set of spring plates from Barnes 4wd that will work perfectly with the U-bolt flip. 3/8" thick and Cheap too.

I have a 3rd set of U-bolts on the way....Long story but I'll actually be money ahead if I can sell the other two sets

You must be registered for see images attach

Project400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I bought a topper. I took off the ladder rack and am going to add an off-road roof rack...I'm going to modify the topper for camping. Either with my girl and I or a weekend a at with just me and my two boys. I'll Repair the rear window and latch, add new screens and a headliner of thin marine carpet from Home Depot.
I'm planning on the first truck camping trip to be sometime in June so I need to get cracking

The suspension is getting a 2" block a T bar crank a diff drop bracket and some Bilsteins

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
That is a clean looking truck for something in the Rustbelt! Topper looks like it's in decent shape too

Project400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so the green topper is going to be sold and this hideous beast is going to get color matched or painted a sand color....I'm NOT leaving it on all the time and this is a function over form thing. This will have much more room when sleeping in the back.

I also ordered a new set of Bilsteins for out back

I'm going to pull a gmt400 hydraboost setup and a G80 govlock at a pick n pull next weekend

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Did you order the 5100's? Im debating on getting a set once my truck is done. I have a cheap set of Monroes I'm going to throw on mine now.

Why not look for a 14 bolt sf instead of a G80 10 bolt?

Project400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you order the 5100's? Im debating on getting a set once my truck is done. I have a cheap set of Monroes I'm going to throw on mine now.

Why not look for a 14 bolt sf instead of a G80 10 bolt?

No I ordered some new replacement Bilsteins. I'm not sure if those are 4600's or if the 4600's are HD's only?The 2" of lift should be fine I think.

I'm definitely swapping out the 10bolt. I've already got the 6 lug 9.5 axle and brake parts. Just need to buy some 4.10's, install kit and a diff cover.

I'm going to pull the G80 out of another 9.5 out of an express van.
I know I'm going a bit into left field on this one but I'm going to modify and rebuild the G80. I think with my intended use it'll be ok. My only experience with one was in an 11.5 in a Duramax truck. Granted that's a much bigger axle but a 9.5 is much bigger than the 10 bolt