96 Tahoe bag and body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdhs10

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont think its that simple, I think your trans cross member runs even/flush with the bottom of your frame. You can weld 2x4 across the bottom of your rails and cut the top of the rails off. Dropping all your body mounts like I did.

Yeah I will have to make more cross members, but that isn't all that difficult.

chevyguy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I will have to make more cross members, but that isn't all that difficult.

If it was as easy as putting a 2x4 on the top half of the frame rails and chopping off the bottom half, I think everyone would be bodied. Just my opinion.

chevyguy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in no way saying you are not capable of doing it, I'm just saying thats not how it should be done.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i think he is talking about how the dually guys do there body drops.. but the frame on the obs isnt the same.. to do a body drop you got to move the body mounts down and cut the top of the frame with the 2x4 laying on the bottom of the frame..

e3mcgrath

Reaction score
Not sure, but I should be able to weld the 2x4 in the top of the rail and cut the rest off, won't even have to touch the body mounts.
doesn't the engine cradle sit even with the frame? like obs trucks do? i sense a problemo

chevyguy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Transmission sits lower, as well as your oil pan, but if he can do it I'd like to see it.
Pre 88 models, all you have to do is a 1" 3/4 Z, flatten/cup the lower arms, z the frame horns, and your laying body.

kdhs10

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last edited:

chevyguy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see, well you can avoid doing the z all together and just cut the top of the frame off, its really easy cutting the body mounts off and setting them down. Not saying that way is wrong. Once you start tearing your truck down, if my control arms workout, I'll build you a set for a decent price. That way you wont have to tub so far into the firewall.

slipping

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What are you going to be doing with your gas tank? Im really enjoying your work and am looking into doing this to my hoe. For me, Ive never done this kind of work to an auto but am inspired and am down with jumping in (with my buddies help). Thanks for posting all your pics and stuff.