96 K2500 ECSB 6.5 Turbo Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grotonems5

Reaction score
Just figured it up and I'm getting 23MPG. I haven't been easy on 'er either since I picked it up Saturday night. Not sure what else the previous owner might have modded or how to tell but it is really peppy, the throttle response in incredible, really touchy. Is there any way I can find out if any mods have been done to it? The only obvious things were the PMD (FSD) moved (not far) up off the pump, and they added gauges for the tranny, exhaust and boost to the A Pillar. It has a Banks Power decal on the back window but not sure what or if Banks made anything for this motor? Thanks again for all your help and insight! Oh, and the compliments are always nice too :D

Snotrocket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your throttle seems touchy because of the electronic throttle control. You'll get used to it after awhile.

The PMD mounted on the intake is in a worse spot than it was from the factory. You need a 6 foot cable and mount it in the bumper behind the license plate. Even then it could still fail. If the one on it now works okay I would buy a brand new one and use the old one as spare.

Keep your tranny under 200, EGT under 1200 and boost under 15 and it will last a long time.

I believe banks only made an exhaust setup I'm not positive on that though. If it has been chipped the computer is mounted behind the glovebox if you want to look.

That should last you a good long while. My Tahoe has 270k miles on it and still runs like a top. If you're getting 23mpg you most certainly have 3.42 gears.

Grotonems5

Reaction score
Your throttle seems touchy because of the electronic throttle control. You'll get used to it after awhile.

The PMD mounted on the intake is in a worse spot than it was from the factory. You need a 6 foot cable and mount it in the bumper behind the license plate. Even then it could still fail. If the one on it now works okay I would buy a brand new one and use the old one as spare.

Keep your tranny under 200, EGT under 1200 and boost under 15 and it will last a long time.

I believe banks only made an exhaust setup I'm not positive on that though. If it has been chipped the computer is mounted behind the glovebox if you want to look.

That should last you a good long while. My Tahoe has 270k miles on it and still runs like a top. If you're getting 23mpg you most certainly have 3.42 gears.

The extension cable for the PMD (FSD) is on it's way, going to move it to the front bumper area. Was thinking about getting another PMD to have for a spare. I'll have to check the PCM to see if there is a chip in it. RPO code GT4 for 3.73's original but that could have been swapped out at any time.

I've been putting it through the paces and haven't had the EGT over 900, kept the boost at or under 10 but I did have it at 15 once. Tranny temp has been in the normal range, I didn't buy this truck to haul anything, I only have two mowers and a trailer for my mowing business but that is nothing for this truck.. I think as long as I own her she is going to have a life of ease, mostly unloaded!

Thanks!

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After a quick internet search, i am showing that Banks does not make anything for these trucks, not even an exhaust system

Grotonems5

Reaction score
The only issue I have had with it so far is that the service engine light will come on periodically and go right out. Had it plugged in today and it gave me stored codes 78, 84, and 99. Cleared the codes and drove it some and the only repeat code was code 78 which indicates a wastegate solenoid malfunction. I did a little research and found out the previous owner installed a Turbomaster wastegate actuator, but did not do any mods to the electrical, so I am assuming the PCM doesn't know what's up because there is no more vacuum or solenoid for the wastegate actuator. Am I correct in assuming this or should I investigate further? I am also assuming the 84 and 99 codes were from before when they moved the PMD out of the original location (or why the moved it) and they didn't clear the old codes. (84=Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Circuit Fault and 99=Accel Pedal Position (APP) 2.5 Volt Reference Fault)