96 Diesel Won't Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whitehoe

The Big Bad Tahoe
Reaction score
I have no idea how or what is causing my issue.

i have a 6.5L turbo diesel 96 2500

my batteries are both charged all accessories such as radio, windows, lights all work fine warning lights/wait to start light very very very dim truck shows no volts. Starter turns and then clicks like the batteries are dead. But sometimes out of no where all the lights will come on and truck shows regular volts and starts fine but only very rarely. Really need help figuring this out need to drive truck on friday. Thank you in advance.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
check your connections at the starter,grounds to batteries pos connections at batteries sounds like one of them is loose

Whitehoe

The Big Bad Tahoe
Reaction score
even though the starter cranks could the connections still be loose?

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your getting power but no crank, I'm willing to bet the connections at the batteries are loose, the gm side mounts are a joke. But if it cranks over fast and does not start, you have other problems

mistaake

Reaction score
Sound exactly like my 96 Yukon did. We replaced starter and battery chasing the issue until we figured out it was a $2 negative battery terminal!! sometimes it would start perfectly, other times it would click briefly then stop cranking alltogether, once in a while it would click briefly then not crank then crank fine, and sometimes it wouldn't do anything at all.

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen people throw alot of money at 6.5 trucks when all they needed to do was clean/replace grounds. At least twice a year mine has starting issues. Clean the grounds and battery terminals and starts right up.

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After the grounds maybe your wires are shot n old as hell mine heated up yesterday n melted a little

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitehoe

The Big Bad Tahoe
Reaction score
Jorge6.5 it is clicking really fast and wont crank anymore is the starter shot?

Whitehoe

The Big Bad Tahoe
Reaction score
ive cleaned every ground and connection i could find other than the starter cause i cant get to it