95 silverado won't start... Need HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knight89

Reaction score
I have a bagged and bodied 95 silverado it's basically my show/cruiser so it doesn't get drove more than twice a week but I went out to drive it the other day and it wouldn't start. Motor sounded like it wanted to turn over but could never get it to start. So I tried to jump it off and it still wouldn't crank, the radio, lights, switches and everything else works jus won't start. Could this b a bad alternator or battery? But wouldn't jumping it off at least get it to crank? Or could it b a motor or starter issue? Any help would b greatly appreciated... Thanks

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Did the starter turn at all?

You might check between the two battery cables. These trucks have two positive cables running from the battery. Sometimes, there can be corrosion between them, so all the accessories get power, but the starter won't get enough.

Either that, or just check the power connections on battery and starter. After that, could be a bad starter.

You might also check the water level in the battery itself.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if it was fine when you parked it I would suspect your battery, sometimes when a cell fails it wont take a jump. as stated above also check the cables first. also check batt voltage with key on and off.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
id check battery, see if you can manually turn the engine over slightly and see if itll crank, also does the starter engage at all? the tbis have the distibution block on the passenger side firewall and they are all fusible links, maybe you burnt out one of those.

knight89

Reaction score
The motor lopes once or twice like it wants to start but it's like there's jus not enough power to actually start up... I left the ignition engaged for a little while becuz at one point it sounded like it was about to start up thinking if it was a low battery that the alt. would recharge it if I got it started and wen I let off the ignition smoke came out of the throttle body not sure if that means anything...

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
smoke could mean excessive fuel being dumped in, id take your battery in and have it tested to see if all the cells are there. if your getting excessive blowby throuh the throttle body the timing is probably out of wack which may mean your chain skipped a beat, id check you battery first though for safe assurance before you start tearing into an engine

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Is the motor cranking without the battery being jumped? Sounds to me more like a fuel issue

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
That rules out battery and alt. When you quit cranking does it make a noise when the smoke comes out of the throttle body?

knight89

Reaction score
No not really jus a puff of smoke it only did it once wen I layed on the ingnition for some length of time...