95 LS swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
Ah cool! I got a one up from you, 318. They are nice mowers, glad you are putting a new motor in it. These mowers can last a long time. :waytogo:
I found out that my L118 has one of those weak non serviceable K46 transaxle. I found a K71B that came from those models and built a dual rear wheel spacer. I have wide turf tires for mowing and the dual narrow wheels with lugs for the garden.

Stevea100m

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well finally got some work done on this since my stock TBI fuel lines started to leak. I ordered a full pre bent line kit from lines to go which came with stainless braided lines where all the stock rubber lines were. I also dropped in the walbro 255 pump with a new sending unit. I also rebuilt the pressure regulator since I'm a month out from swapping the motor and trans still. I think the truck runs smoother now than with the old pump and I picked up some mileage ( that could be cause of the ancient fuel filter getting replaced). Hopefully the next time I post it will be with pics and stages of the rip out of the TBI engine!

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I subscribed to see how this turns out, as I am interested in an LS swap, now after I have a very healthy TBI motor. If I did an LS swap, I would run mine with my NV4500 like the green tahoe thread.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I subscribed to see how this turns out, as I am interested in an LS swap, now after I have a very healthy TBI motor. If I did an LS swap, I would run mine with my NV4500 like the green tahoe thread.
If i was building a work truck then NV4500 all day. But if i was building a streert/track truck then i would have to go with a T56.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I HAD to move up to the NV4500 transmission, because I killed 3, yes 3 NV3500 because of my torque output. I still have no idea how much torque I have, but it's certainly more than the wimpy 300 it was born with. I guess you really couldn't count the first transmission because it was original with 279k miles, but the sucessor transmission lasted 2 weeks before the 1-2 shift rail grenaded. That replacement made it 6 months and I towed with it.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
If i was building a work truck then NV4500 all day. But if i was building a streert/track truck then i would have to go with a T56.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

The T56 was found in the Corvettes and Camaros. Not to be used to tow with. The NV4500 are in fact the latest and greatest truck manual you can get.

I HAD to move up to the NV4500 transmission, because I killed 3, yes 3 NV3500 because of my torque output. I still have no idea how much torque I have, but it's certainly more than the wimpy 300 it was born with. I guess you really couldn't count the first transmission because it was original with 279k miles, but the sucessor transmission lasted 2 weeks before the 1-2 shift rail grenaded. That replacement made it 6 months and I towed with it.

I swapped my NV3500 MG5 for the NV4500 MW3 and added the gearvendors under/overdrive. also replaced the 10 bolt with 3.08:1 with a 14 bolt 3.73:1 to handle the power im looking for in my LS swap.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
The T56 was found in the Corvettes and Camaros. Not to be used to tow with. The NV4500 are in fact the latest and greatest truck manual you can get.

I swapped my NV3500 MG5 for the NV4500 MW3 and added the gearvendors under/overdrive. also replaced the 10 bolt with 3.08:1 with a 14 bolt 3.73:1 to handle the power im looking for in my LS swap.

I swapped out the 10 bolt for a 14 as well. How’s the extra overdrive working out?

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
I swapped out the 10 bolt for a 14 as well. How’s the extra overdrive working out?

With the original diff having 3.08:1. With the swapped one being a 3.73:1, times that by the gearvendors it will be like changing my diff gears to 2.9094:1 on the fly. The only real complaint I have with the whole setup is there a little more slack then normal in the drive train. I cant use the gearvendors until I reach 20 mph then when I do im shifting into 3rd when I'm lighting them up in second. Towing I can use the gearvendors in second. I towed a trailer with the whole rig at 13980 pounds without driver and passenger. 10% grades at 75 mph in 3+. I am assuming you have a slip yoke in your transfer case. Mine is 4x2 so I had to make some magic happen to use the NV4500. The NV4500 4x2 had a two piece drive shaft with the shaft from the diff having the slip yoke. with my SCSB I have some room to make a two piece but I searched for other options and I stumbled upon the Gearvendors and it can come with or without a slip yoke. I have had to swap the rear seal a few times. It leaked around the outside of the seal where the seal meets the tail housing. Its the same seal out of the tail shaft of a TH400. I learned you have to make a jig to get it in even or it will leak. I also put a real thin red RTV around the outside lip of the seal before I push it all the way seated. The RTV will damage the Gearvendors since everything was made with high tolerances and it can clog the oiling system. other than that its made a big difference. The best MPG was 19.5 mpg empty truck. I think I could have gotten a little better if I didn't add weight to it going from a aluminum transmission, adding the gearvendors and swapping the larger diff. I have the suspension for the donor of the diff. I plan on using the rear springs and using the 4x4 front components to widen the front 4 inches to match the rear. This also gives me a HUB-less disc brakes. No more bearing swaps and grease. I also plan on using 98 HUBs to convert the truck to all-wheel Anti-lock brakes later on.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Seems like I was always fighting the silicone seal between the turbo 400 trans and transfer case on the humvees when I played Army mechanic years ago, then again I could be thinking of something else too.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
Well this work was all in preparation for my LQ4 402 CID 6.6L swap. Which I plan on selling the heads after I have them rebuilt and ported and polished, the cam, and the entire rotating assembly. It has the 24X reluctor and I need the 58X for the computer I have. I already plan on changing the rods and pistons with all ARP fasteners. I plan on getting Trick Flo 225 heads and matching cam. Getting a 4 inch crank cost a little more thank a stock crank. With the head and cam combo, Trick Flo stated it would net on a stock intake and stock bottom over 500hp. With the stroker kit it would net over 600hp. We shall see when I hook it to the engine dyno.

Last edited: