95 LS swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How's the build goin'?

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Stevea100m

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How's the build goin'?

Im at a budgetary stopping point at the moment but the torque converter is here. I need to get plugs wires and some sending unit adapters and we will be sliding the TBI out along with the tranny and sliding in the 5.3 and the 2001 4l60e. I'm thinking the weekend after the 4th of July starting on a friday night and finishing on sunday night. That should give me 2 weeks of around town driving on it before I make my first trip with it.

Shinyrust

Reaction score
I've done a couple swaps back in the day and I got to say that about 70% of my problems showed up the first week but the FML problems showed up a month or so after the swap.

What I learned to do is break the cam in (flat tappet) and beat the **** out of it for the first week. Any weak parts break and problems that would show up a month later showed up instantly.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im at a budgetary stopping point at the moment but the torque converter is here. I need to get plugs wires and some sending unit adapters and we will be sliding the TBI out along with the tranny and sliding in the 5.3 and the 2001 4l60e. I'm thinking the weekend after the 4th of July starting on a friday night and finishing on sunday night. That should give me 2 weeks of around town driving on it before I make my first trip with it.
So your planning to take out the old motor and have the LS one swapped and all buttoned up in a weekend? That's great ! Just make sure you have the LS harness done and ECU vats removed before hand. Theres are alot of little things that delayed me. But then again I did not have everything from the 5.3. I had to get all the accessories harness, ECU all thru Craigslist, eBay and local junkyards at the time. It freaking nickeled and dimes me to death ! A few things that may also may help you out that I can recommend: Use an LS1 (Camaro) three wire temp sensor. It wire to the 5.3 original location. Two wires go on LS harness one goes straight to the OBS temp gauge cluster. Using the 5.3 fan clutch till you want to get electric fans will work fine, less wiring. Find a way to mount the OBS a/c compressor. OBS radiator will work on the 5.3. Triple Check all ground contacts if you can't get it to start once everything is swapped in. Hope this helps

BerHntr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats definitely an ambitious goal for sure, I hope you succeed. I can't remember the back story completely but I would try and have a back up truck for Monday morning just in case. I've been reading up on ls swaps for years and I've yet to see one go as smoothly as the swappers intended. As far as the a/c goes, I intend on using lextech's bracket kit. I have already purchased and installed some of the kit. If you would like some pictures of the kit let me know.

Dgonz does your 3 wire temp sensor read accurately, I thought I had read somewhere that they worked but read inaccurately? ( I know, kind of contradicts my years of ls swap research comment but I think I've done too much reading on the matter. Sort of researched myself in circles)

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats definitely an ambitious goal for sure, I hope you succeed. I can't remember the back story completely but I would try and have a back up truck for Monday morning just in case. I've been reading up on ls swaps for years and I've yet to see one go as smoothly as the swappers intended. As far as the a/c goes, I intend on using lextech's bracket kit. I have already purchased and installed some of the kit. If you would like some pictures of the kit let me know.

Dgonz does your 3 wire temp sensor read accurately, I thought I had read somewhere that they worked but read inaccurately? ( I know, kind of contradicts my years of ls swap research comment but I think I've done too much reading on the matter. Sort of researched myself in circles)
Good question about the sensor. Yes mine is off by like 30 or so degrees. Reason being, was that when I sent my ECU to have vats removed and tuned, I did not tell Brendan from lt1swap.com about it. I got the ECU back and by that time I had already went with the Camaro temp sensor. If I would've told him beforehand he could've simply made the change when he programmed it

Dgonz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Btw, I wired my own OBS cluster to the LS harness and everything works fine. Fuel gauge works off original OBS sending unit, oil pressure, temp, speedo all work fine and aside from temp are accurate. Tach, I wouldn't know my w/t c1500 never came with one and I have never put one on. I don't dog my truck out or race it, so I have never had the need for one. Also I intend to do a '95 interior swap and I will get a newer gauge cluster with tach , then.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Got the heads on last night. Intake and some of the wiring and smaller things will be going on tonight. I am still waiting on the torque converter but I am pretty close to ripping out this gutless 5.7 TBI

You must be registered for see images attach
What JD mower is that? Sorry for being off-topic, but I sure love my JD mowers... :cheers:

Stevea100m

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So your planning to take out the old motor and have the LS one swapped and all buttoned up in a weekend? That's great ! Just make sure you have the LS harness done and ECU vats removed before hand. Theres are alot of little things that delayed me. But then again I did not have everything from the 5.3. I had to get all the accessories harness, ECU all thru Craigslist, eBay and local junkyards at the time. It freaking nickeled and dimes me to death ! A few things that may also may help you out that I can recommend: Use an LS1 (Camaro) three wire temp sensor. It wire to the 5.3 original location. Two wires go on LS harness one goes straight to the OBS temp gauge cluster. Using the 5.3 fan clutch till you want to get electric fans will work fine, less wiring. Find a way to mount the OBS a/c compressor. OBS radiator will work on the 5.3. Triple Check all ground contacts if you can't get it to start once everything is swapped in. Hope this helps

Im using the Fitech ultimate LS harness so that shouldn't be an issue. Biggest part will be getting the gauges all working

Already planned on dropping it off monday at the shop to have the y pipe finished for the exhaust so I will be in a backup car anyways. I've got 5 guys helping me all weekend after the 4th. Biggest thing is anything that comes out of the truck cant be cut or discarded as I am dropping the TBI into a buddies woodhauler truck that threw a rod and hes looking for a cheap running motor.