95 K2500 Brake and Axle Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KaydenMorlan

Reaction score
So I have a 95 K2500 that has the factory 14 Bolt with 3.73s and G80. The truck is 8600 GVW and I'm unsure of the size of rear I have. I know the 11.5 came in NBS 3500s but that leaves me with a 9.5 and 10.5 rear. Now excuse me if I sound like an idiot because I don't work on these much. But my main goal with it is to rebuild the rear to be a little stronger because the G80 is shot, and it's got a lot of wear on the spiders (I like doing burnouts). But while I'm rebuilding the rear diff, I would like to convert the brakes to disc and want to know the best way of doing so. To my understanding, it's not terribly difficult. I need some info on where to find what I need for the swap, drums are just too much of a pain in the ass for me to deal with.

If I am upgrading the brakes on the rear, might as well do the front too right? So I heard you can do an NBS front brake swap or something on half tons.... Is this true for an 8 lug truck as well? I plan on running 20 inch wheels so the bigger the rotors, I'm sure the better! Now my truck has had the brake booster and rake master cylinder replaced, rear drums adjusted, everything properly bled, and still have a terribly soft pedal... It stops, just not good. So I know you can do the NBS brake master swap but as for the booster, what are my options? I want a decent pedal and some good stopping power. I pull somewhat like vehicles on a bumper pull flat bed etc. But usually nothing more. I do have a trailer brake controller and let me say, without it, I would have been in numerous wrecks and such by now while pulling a trailer. So while I have everything apart, I plan on painting all of the paintable pieces black to make it look nice again, as well as the part of frame that is visible. I also want all stainless brake lines and I know they aren't cheap, but where can I find some for these trucks? I want to replace every brake line with stainless braided lines.

My truck has the ABS system... Is it needed? I hear they cause more trouble than needed. I know you can delete them, but is it worthwhile to do so and what does it take to do it?

Another option I've heard is doing a hydroboost swap? Like the 454 trucks had? my truck is a 350 TBI with an NV4500.... Worth doing the swap and what all is involved?

As for axles, whether its a 9.5 or 10.5, I want a posi and have heard a lot of good about an Eaton TruTrac? Hard swap to do? Doesn't seem like it's too bad since I've rebuilt like 30 damn 10 bolts from my 2000 half ton. I'm also going to clean the axle casing up, paint it etc. and I want a good looking and good functional diff cover... What is recommended for one to fit my rear.

While I install a lift kit, I'm dropping the front diff and going to clean it up, rebuild it, paint it etc. Do they make aftermarket diff covers for them, and what's the best 3.73 rebuild kit for one?

I greatly appreciate any answers I can get as I am starting this project right around the corner....

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My understanding is that the 14 bolt semi float axle is a 9.5" and the 14 bolt full float is 10.5". I have also seen that HD K3500 dually front rotors and calipers will fit the K2500 knuckles and hubs, so that could be a good upgrade for the front also. The front differential isn't a solid axle like the rear, its a big aluminum case split into two halves with stub shafts that the CV axles bolt to, so there is no "diff cover" to upgrade. The front diff size is 9.25", so just find a rebuild kit in that size you're comfortable using.

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
sounds like you have a lot of questions and all of them have answers on this, as well as other forums, so it looks like you haven't even attempted to use the search feature. try that first and i think you will be happy.
i have the complete RWAL delete copied, from this site, pasted, sent an email to myself so i have pics and text.