'94 Chevy C-1500 Drag Truck Chronicles...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acaskunkworks

Reaction score
Hello- I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so here goes...

My students and I are in the beginning stages of building a 1994 GM/Chevy RCSB Truck for drag racing next season and over the last few days, we've put this beast under a strict diet to shed some weight, but keep it looking good and remaining safe. We're at the stage of removing the O.E. power steering box, components, etc. and the power brake booster, so we would like some guidance from others who have "been there, done this".

I've read elseware how to convert the brakes to manual, so we'll likely be doing that, but I've not seen what or how to convert this thing to manual steering....i.e. what manual gear box did you buy, where from, etc.?

Your help and guidance is greatly appreciated and thanks a million in advance!
You must be registered for see images attach

Very nice board here!!!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Sorry, can't help much with manual anything swap, but I am looking forward to seeing your progress.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Why on earth would you want to get rid of power steering and brakes??

At best you will save about 20 pounds. You could loop the pressure and return lines with a piece of hose, but this is not the best. Keep the power steering, it will make life easier.

There are far, far better ways to shed weight.

Depending on how fast you plan to run, C-clips aren't going to cut it. The 10 bolt may live if you preload it with the foot brake for each pass, instead of trashing on it. A better choice would be moving to a 14 bolt ( if you want to have an easier swap ) or another rear axle, would have to weld on mounts in the correct place. Keep in mind the springs are angled on top of the housing.

First off, toss the entire heater box, dash and heavy seats. A plastic RCI race bucket would be my choice.

Remove and discard the front sway bar and links, you will not need it for drag racing, and removing it will help with weight transfer. Front inner fenders can go.

Getting the ride height lower will be beneficial in terms of aerodynamics. A simple lexan or acrylic 'grille plug' will help out as well at higher speeds on the big end.

acaskunkworks

Reaction score
We're running manual Wilwood brakes, so that is already decided and since this truck is only going to be used for 1/8 mile racing, manual steering is our plan for not only reduced weight, but also to simplify the engine bay.

The interior has also already been lightened, but we do have a ways to go yet before we're done. We haven't gotten to the front end yet, other than pulling the engine and removing other un-needed items, but we're headed up there shortly.

The rear axle will be equipped w/ a c-clip eliminator kit and we're not leaving off a trans-brake, so this diff will have to do for now to fit our budget.

The rear will be lowered by 2 1/2" by removing the helper spring and we're installing Belltech 2c drop rear shackles, which we already have.

Never thought of grill plugs, since we aren't going very fast in the 1/8 mile, but every little bit helps I guess. :)

Last edited:

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Actually if you really want to go lightweight, they do make fiberglass fenders but they are super wide for prerunners, I have no clue if they make stock size fenders that are fiberglass. Fiberglass hood would also be a nice improvement.

acaskunkworks

Reaction score
Still trying to sort out the manual gearbox issue though... Perhaps a gearbox from a manual S10, 15 or Jimmy?