89 c1500 suspension overhaul help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89XM

Reaction score
hello so i just picked up a 1989 c1500 extended cab 5.7tbi 2wd and I'm going to be rebuilding transmission and engine with a carb swap once i take them off and inspect. right of the bat the power steering shaft is leaking and transmission is covered in sludge on the outside so I'm expecting to do a full rebuild of the 700r, the driveshaft is also leaking at bearing connection to the transmission, etc to much to continue.

so i would like to replace everything down there

front diff
rear diff
driveshaft
steering shaft and related components to powering steering
pitman arm
Idler Arm Bracket Assembly
idler arm
tie rod and tie rod end inner and outer and adjusting sleeve
center link
stabilizer bar and link
sway bar and link and bushings
control arms all sides upper and lower
Caster / Camber Cam Bolt Kit
strut rod
steering knuckle
axle shafts

can someone fill the recommended parts list for this builds and if i missed anything add it in and if i need any special tools to make this go by smoother also recommend that as well?

thanks in advance!

also if it is smart to lift now while upgrading parts can you recommend also? what ever the standard lift height is..

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
C1500? C=2 wheel drive. K=4x4.
Upper & lower control arm, sway bar & end links, & leaf spring bushings...go with polyurethane.
You could do the cab mounts with that too, but some find the ride kinda harsh.
Cheaper to buy a whole kit than the individual bushings.

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
I'm guessing the rest of the truck is mint if your going to put that much into the drivetrain and chassis.

89XM

Reaction score
C1500? C=2 wheel drive. K=4x4.
Upper & lower control arm, sway bar & end links, & leaf spring bushings...go with polyurethane.
You could do the cab mounts with that too, but some find the ride kinda harsh.
Cheaper to buy a whole kit than the individual bushings.
which brand bushing do you recommended? lmctruck is about $329 for COMPLETE MOUNTING KIT 50PC
RAD CORE/CAB/BED

If the transmission's covered in sludge but runs fine, don't mess with it. Reseal what's leaking.
transmission is slipping in reverse not all the time. i believe part of the casing is warped and has a hole. will have to check again.

I'm guessing the rest of the truck is mint if your going to put that much into the drivetrain and chassis.

well the only thing it has going for it is the paint.... radio works

dash is falling off just replaced door pins and rekeyed the doors and ignition. outside door handles and inner need to be replaced can only get out through passanger side.

89XM

Reaction score
Probably should have done that when you re-keyed the doors.

yeah , i wanted to see if the door handles would still be usable if i changed the key barrels. didn't work before but gave it a shot. now i have to order inner and outer handles.

do you know of any metal outer handles? possibly capable to be welded to the door so no one can pop the handles anymore?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you know of any metal outer handles? possibly capable to be welded to the door so no one can pop the handles anymore?
I bought a handle @ OReilly's in their self help section, it was a Dorman IIRC, it works but isn't as good of quality as OE.

On another note, your truck is a C1500 but on your list of things to do, you want to change the front diff? Are you going to convert it to a 4X4?

89XM

Reaction score
I bought a handle @ OReilly's in their self help section, it was a Dorman IIRC, it works but isn't as good of quality as OE.

On another note, your truck is a C1500 but on your list of things to do, you want to change the front diff? Are you going to convert it to a 4X4?

i was thinking about a converting but if it cost to much I'll just stick with 2wd.