88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Hi, My name is truck. GIVE ME ALL YOUR MONEY.

As I've mentioned, the clutch in this truck was driving me crazy chattering, sometimes has weird pedal feel, and the transmission was leaking some. So, I pulled the transmission. Mind you, the clutch was replaced when I bought the truck and rebuilt the transmission. But, seeing as this is my tow rig and well, i like my things working proper, so I order up a Centerforce II clutch and pressure plate, and GM performance throw out bearing/slave cylinder. Then out came the transmission, clutch and flywheel. The pressure plate and flywheel have bad hot spots, and the clutch disk is separating in a few places. During all this, I realize that my OE flywheel doesn't have enough material for an aftermarket clutch. So, a GM performance flywheel was ordered. I also decide to replace the rear-main seal, so it was ordered as well.
You must be registered for see images attach

Now, on to the transmission. To re-seal the trans you have to separate the tail, front retainer and top cover.... with the front retainer out comes the input shaft and BOOM disaster.

It had a new input shaft and main shaft, along with all bearings and synchros. Well, the main shaft and input shaft have wear I'm not pleased about, so It's getting replaced so might as well do the bearings again............ Mind you right after I rebuilt the 4L60E in my 02 GMC..... I'm doing things like this. A week and a half prior to a long distance trip to Idaho with the truck and camper, while towing my father's Jeep....

Last night I was pricing 2015 Sierras.....................

2KGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really hope you don't get rid of this for a 2015 due to this thread being the motivation that drove me to keep mine
and finish it :). But at the same time I can understand the frustration, this truck is beautiful imo and you do outstanding work sir.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
I really hope you don't get rid of this for a 2015 due to this thread being the motivation that drove me to keep mine
and finish it :). But at the same time I can understand the frustration, this truck is beautiful imo and you do outstanding work sir.
Thanks. I don't Want to get rid of it, but I also hate money pits.

What size tv is that looking for one in the same spot 19in?
It's a 22" LCD computer monitor.

Triplel40

Gear Jammer
Reaction score
Jeeze man sorry to hear about the transmission problems, hope she stops eating at your wallet for a while! My clutch has been chattering for over a year now, and my 5th gear synchro is completely gone, but I'm holding off on doing anything to it because I know that the moment I drop it I'm gonna find even more problems than yours. Mine has the light duty NV3500, and it has almost 320,000 miles on it, so I'm scared of how much damage there is in there. Holding off to swap an NV4500 into it instead of dealing with the 3500 trans.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Sheez... that must have been fun. How much did the parts run you, if you don't mind me asking? Its only a matter of time before my NV4500 needs work...

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Jeeze man sorry to hear about the transmission problems, hope she stops eating at your wallet for a while! My clutch has been chattering for over a year now, and my 5th gear synchro is completely gone, but I'm holding off on doing anything to it because I know that the moment I drop it I'm gonna find even more problems than yours. Mine has the light duty NV3500, and it has almost 320,000 miles on it, so I'm scared of how much damage there is in there. Holding off to swap an NV4500 into it instead of dealing with the 3500 trans.
I haven't messed with a NV3500 but I know they aren't top load transmission like this. NV4500 transmissions are awesome TBH.

Sheez... that must have been fun. How much did the parts run you, if you don't mind me asking? Its only a matter of time before my NV4500 needs work...
Parts weren't too bad, $380 for new shafts and bearings, plus clutch and all the other stuff I needed.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Hi, My name is truck. GIVE ME ALL YOUR MONEY.

As I've mentioned, the clutch in this truck was driving me crazy chattering, sometimes has weird pedal feel, and the transmission was leaking some. So, I pulled the transmission. Mind you, the clutch was replaced when I bought the truck and rebuilt the transmission. But, seeing as this is my tow rig and well, i like my things working proper, so I order up a Centerforce II clutch and pressure plate, and GM performance throw out bearing/slave cylinder. Then out came the transmission, clutch and flywheel. The pressure plate and flywheel have bad hot spots, and the clutch disk is separating in a few places. During all this, I realize that my OE flywheel doesn't have enough material for an aftermarket clutch. So, a GM performance flywheel was ordered. I also decide to replace the rear-main seal, so it was ordered as well.

Now, on to the transmission. To re-seal the trans you have to separate the tail, front retainer and top cover.... with the front retainer out comes the input shaft and BOOM disaster.

It had a new input shaft and main shaft, along with all bearings and synchros. Well, the main shaft and input shaft have wear I'm not pleased about, so It's getting replaced so might as well do the bearings again............ Mind you right after I rebuilt the 4L60E in my 02 GMC..... I'm doing things like this. A week and a half prior to a long distance trip to Idaho with the truck and camper, while towing my father's Jeep....

Last night I was pricing 2015 Sierras.....................
Ill trade you 2 99s a 98 a 85 and a 90