85 Prelude Resurrection Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I was unfamiliar with the older Hondas when I started and wanted a direct bolt on. I paid extra for an A18/ET2 out of an 84 Lude when I could’ve gotten an A20 for $100 less had I known it would be a direct fit and I’d be putting the top end on my A18.

80s and 90s Honduhs are nothing more than bigass Lego sets.

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally got to doing the head swap tonight. It was all pretty straight forward and satisfying to rip out all the old emissions and vacuum components. I quit for the night and left the shop with a smooth running Prelude!

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One problem did occur. The air filter on top of the carb sits slightly too far forward and hits the underside of the hood…I’ll have to figure that one out…

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's the intended use once finished?
Just a weekend cruiser. My mother bought the car as she wanted one when she was younger. I’ve been doing all the work for her to save it from the scrap yard. The whole head and carb swap was just for simplicity and reliability. I probably could’ve eventually gotten the twin Keihins working AFTER I ripped all my hair out.

TexasRebel

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The A20A3 blessed you with the simplicity of fuel injection rather than the spaghetti I have. You should’ve kept it! Let’s see some pictures. I have only seen two 2nd-3rd gen Ludes in my area including mine! Automatics are even rarer. I can’t remember if the hood still opened backwards in 86…Might have been an 84-85 thing.
There was definitely still quite a bit of spaghetti under the hood with all of the vacuum lines everywhere. It was a neat little car that I really wanted to keep but I had 7 other vehicles at the time and needed to thin the herd a little bit. The plan was to put a D16 (still slow, but way simpler) that I had from my old '97 Civic HX that I got the wheels from. As much as I love my trucks and the classic muscle/sports cars that I've had, this Prelude and my old Miata were two of the funnest vehicles that I've owned. The Lude was slower than hell, but the looks it got made up for it and knowing that I was driving something that most people didn't even know what it was.

Attachments

• IMG_20180204_143950588_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180204_143950588_HDR.jpg
    460.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20180204_144002938_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180204_144002938_HDR.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 5

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
There was definitely still quite a bit of spaghetti under the hood with all of the vacuum lines everywhere. It was a neat little car that I really wanted to keep but I had 7 other vehicles at the time and needed to thin the herd a little bit. The plan was to put a D16 (still slow, but way simpler) that I had from my old '97 Civic HX that I got the wheels from. As much as I love my trucks and the classic muscle/sports cars that I've had, this Prelude and my old Miata were two of the funnest vehicles that I've owned. The Lude was slower than hell, but the looks it got made up for it and knowing that I was driving something that most people didn't even know what it was.
Have you seen the Hot Wheels first generation Prelude? Came out a couple years ago, in silver at first. But they have released it in yellow, cobalt blue and red as well.
This casting was designed by Ryu Asada, who did many stellar designs for Matchbox and Hot Wheels. He based this car on the one his parents had when he was a kid, right down to the correct Japanese license plate.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you seen the Hot Wheels first generation Prelude? Came out a couple years ago, in silver at first. But they have released it in yellow, cobalt blue and red as well.
This casting was designed by Ryu Asada, who did many stellar designs for Matchbox and Hot Wheels. He based this car on the one his parents had when he was a kid, right down to the correct Japanese license plate.
Pics or it didn't happen...