77Concours's 1977 Nova SS Tribute Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought this car in October of 2008 from a gentleman who had to move himself, and his family to Germany due to being in the armed forces for $3,800. I had looked at cars (that needed restoration) ranging from a 1970 split bumper Camaro to a partially finished 1969 El Camino. I had a 1985 El Camino Conquista (shown below) I bought for $250 about a year and a half prior to the Nova. I sold it because I could see through the floor after tearing apart the interior, however it was fully restored back to original condition by someone in Northern PA.

My father bought his 1978 Nova Rally before I was born but started the restoration when I was about 3 or so. He had a 1975 Nova Custom hatchback in high school that he worked on and street raced. This is where the whole "Nova" niche comes from in my family.

A little about my car:

-1977 Chevrolet Nova Concours turned SS
-Car was originally black on black with a full black vinyl top (only about 7xx out of 9,*** had full black vinyl roofs)
-305 with a TH-350 automatic transmission
-Non-posi rear I'm not sure of the gear ratio
-Factory A/C car but someone tore out all the A/C stuff :nono:
-The SS front conversion consisted of about 6 Novas
-Hugger Orange paint with painted Camaro stripes, new vinyl top

Modifications:
-Car came with an Edelbrock intake, Edelbrock carburetor, and Edelbrock air cleaner
-Swapped out the Edelbrock carburetor with a Holley that almost got me killed (throttle got stuck open on it)
-Swapped a new Edelbrock carburetor back on
-Hooker ceramic coated headers with a Pypes Violator 2.5" dual exhaust, no catalytic converters
-Built TH-350 with all B&M goodies (torque converter, fluid, deeper pan, shift kit) it snaps your neck when shifting
-SSBC drilled and slotted front rotors with SSBC pads
-8K HIDs with blue halo rings
-Cragar Eliminator 500C rims
-BF Goodrich Radial T/A's
-Orange LED courtesy lights
-Full LED exterior
-"HEY OFCR" vanity plate
-All Alpine stereo system (Type R)

All of these mods were completed before the day I graduated from high school. No one ever understood why I worked nights on weekends instead of partying when I was building this car. Hard work pays off. Period.

You must be registered for see images attach

More Recent:

Future plans:
-Polyurethane bushings (possibly May)
-Posi rear with 3.73's
-383 Stroker motor good for 450 HP

This car has seen it all. Cruises, shows, homecomings, prom, running from cops at parties, mud behind the rear wheels. I plan on giving it a full restoration once I graduate college and not abuse the hell out of it. I'll update this from time to time with show results and some cruise in pictures.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Nice build. Good to see a vehicle that's been held onto & taken care off.
I had an '80 El Camino. Power everything. Every GM option available for that year, including the F-41 suspension. Factory 4 speed, too! (B/W Super T-10) Lowered 2/3. Sold it when the boys came along.
And...had a Nova, too! '70 SS396/375HP, (L/78) 4 speed, (M/21) & 3.55's. All stck & original except for headers. I was the 3rd. owner. Never, never should of sold it! But, I DO know where it is. Got 1st dibs when & if it comes up for sale.

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice build. Good to see a vehicle that's been held onto & taken care off.
I had an '80 El Camino. Power everything. Every GM option available for that year, including the F-41 suspension. Factory 4 speed, too! (B/W Super T-10) Lowered 2/3. Sold it when the boys came along.
And...had a Nova, too! '70 SS396/375HP, (L/78) 4 speed, (M/21) & 3.55's. All stck & original except for headers. I was the 3rd. owner. Never, never should of sold it! But, I DO know where it is. Got 1st dibs when & if it comes up for sale.

Al,

That Nova is gorgeous, and an L78 to boot! My dad's '78 is all stock for the exception of misc. tune up stuff and an exterior resto. The engine bay is nowhere near pretty and the interior shows a little wear but he refuses to restore the car until the 305 blows up.

towman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i can see you had jim's 500 paint the car, how did he treat you?

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i can see you had jim's 500 paint the car, how did he treat you?

Jim did good job of painting it and repairing the body parts that needed it. My dad had his Nova painted there so that's my justification for doing so. I will say the paint is showing its age but that is after 4 years of never being garaged and its been through all weather and road conditions. However, it did win first place at the Carlisle all GM Nationals last June in the 73-79 Nova class. Are you local to the Harrisburg area?

that thing looks like SOOO much fun

It's a blast, even with the 305 it still is pretty fast. Plus its always weird sitting in a much lower car compared to a lifted truck!

Very Cool! I think those new rims really make a huge difference. nice job!

Thank you! Everyone loves the wheels, and I wasn't sure how they would look. I got them about 4 months after they came out in 2010. In the more recent picture section they were a little dirty but a little Meguiar's chrome polish makes them shine.

towman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
saw the wards trucks in the backround and knew where it was, grew up in mechaincsburg and work in lemoyne, i have a olds 442 i have had for thirty years

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
saw the wards trucks in the backround and knew where it was, grew up in mechaincsburg and work in lemoyne, i have a olds 442 i have had for thirty years

Is your 442 green? I'm out on the Carlisle Pike a lot (gym, and work) and every now and then I see a green 442 when the weather is nice. Not sure if you've gone but the first Saturday of every month I'm at the Silver Spring Diner for the Blue Moon Cruisers cruise ins. It's nothing spectacular, and usually the same cars but I enjoy it.