7.4L MAF Issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I'd really doubt it to be the coil. I hadn't really considered the effects of the trims. Did you try running with the o2s unplugged? That should throw it into an error state and keep it open loop, correct?

Ran them unplugged for about 4 hours worth of towing my travel trailer ~5000lbs. No change

Again though trims apply in open loop. If he could clear his trims then run open loop that'd give us a better idea. I have a Harbor Freight scanner that displays PIDs. That's what you're after. The ability to monitor ECT, IAT and **** like that.

Pardon my ignorance but could you explain PID, ECT and IAT?

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ran them unplugged for about 4 hours worth of towing my travel trailer ~5000lbs. No change

Pardon my ignorance but could you explain PID, ECT and IAT?

Parameter ID's. Engine coolant temp, intake air temp.

I think simply disconnecting the battery erases the long term trims, right?

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What about disconnecting the positive and negative battery terminals and touching them together for 30 seconds? Heard that one some where once.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, that or unplug the batt and turn the headlights on for a few minutes. Supposed to drain the capacitors in anything that has them. Forgot about that one.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well tonight is going to be an interesting test. I have to haul my brother in laws tractor back that same 15 miles. The only difference is ill be starting out cold. Wish I had the scanner now to check the live data but I'll get more chances for that. Going to quick throw on the new coil before I go on the off chance that is the problem although now you both have me feeling stupid about it. Tonight I'll probably get my prep torch out and see if I can loosen those dam o2 sensors after the trucks been good and hot. I really hate working with exhaust.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just try the ghetto pcm reset and unplug the front o2 sensors and see what happens.