7.4 starting problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thekevin

Reaction score
Ok, I hope I explain this all right. I have a 98 2500 with a 7.4 and I think that it is losing prime between starts. I can turn the key over and hear the fuel pump and the first time I hit the key it seems like 1 or 2 cylinders hit and then nothing. It normally takes 3 or 4 more times of cranking before it starts and when it does it sounds like a tractor firing up, you can hear 1 or 2 cylinders hit then for maybe a second then they all fire and it normally puffs a little smoke when it does that. The truck runs perfectly after it starts. If it is leaking off is there a common component on these trucks that leaks off.

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
try letting the fuel pump prime 3 or 4 times before cranking it. just turn the key to "on" position and wait till you cant hear the fuel pump running anymore. do that 3 or 4 times then try to start it. if i fires right up then your losing prime somewhere. if it doesnt change the way it starts then you have problems somewhere else.

thekevin

Reaction score
Would it be more likely that it is leaking out at the injectors, or back at the pump.

kczrider

Reaction score
Leaking injectors are a common problems with the vortec 7.4, if they haven't been replaced. Usually worst during hot starts.

thekevin

Reaction score
that makes sense, it usually only does it after is sits for 1 to 4 hours, any shorter or longer and it is fine.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
You may as well replace the fuel pressure regulator while you're in there. This is something I need to do to my truck, too.