6BT swap for Old Red

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can do a P-Pumped 24valve. I think that might be the way to go and avoid the VE pump failure. I’m not looking for a lot of HP/torque. Would be happy with 300/700 and just have a nice truck to rip around in.

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I rebuilt the suspension and interior and....... Well everything on the damn truck. Wife says it's her favorite of all my trucks. I'd love to have this monster get better mileage than her explorer. Bragging rights. But if it's too loud it won't matter much if we don't use it for road trips ya know.

My goal is a pop up cab over camper or decent tow trailer.

vr1967

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can do a P-Pumped 24valve. I think that might be the way to go and avoid the VE pump failure. I’m not looking for a lot of HP/torque. Would be happy with 300/700 and just have a nice truck to rip around in.

The VE pumps are good to go, the VP44 are the ones everyone has problems with, and that is because the lift pump fails.

I’ve put a VE on a 24V for someone and he praises the mileage. I like the rotary pumps myself

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rebuilt the suspension and interior and....... Well everything on the damn truck. Wife says it's her favorite of all my trucks. I'd love to have this monster get better mileage than her explorer. Bragging rights. But if it's too loud it won't matter much if we don't use it for road trips ya know.

My goal is a pop up cab over camper or decent tow trailer.

Don’t you live in Cali? How will you do the swap?

The VE pumps are good to go, the VP44 are the ones everyone has problems with, and that is because the lift pump fails.

I’ve put a VE on a 24V for someone and he praises the mileage. I like the rotary pumps myself

Ohhh that’s right the VP ones are trouble. I get the two confused.

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck is factory smog exempt. It doesn't get checked. A gasser might get me to the referee station. Most wouldn't notice one rattler from another.

I've even thought about a 4BT.

Just checked and to put a fiat 4 cylinder 3.0 diesel was 3k just for harness and tuning.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of good info here. Thanks.

Another question is brackets. I’m looking to keep my A/C and also run an engine driven compressor. I think this might be a tall order.