6-5 lug axle...not rear end!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aggieman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I want to put a new rear emd in my 2wd with lower gearing instead of paying to refearcwith labor and all. so say i find a 6 lug 10 bolt at a junk yard can i switch just the shafts out back to 5 or is it impossible. i know just swirch rims but i love my rims and don't want to switch them or buy new ones for that matter. So any possibilities with just switching axle shafts thabks

aggieman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright thanks so probably best bet is just find like a 2500 6 lug and use adapters?

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you can swap a 6 lug to a 5 on 5 lug axle, you will need custom splined shafts with the flange drilled to the correct pattern. you will also need the 5 lug drums and I believe the backing plates. I think the 4x4 10 bolt drums are 11"x2" and the 2wd was 10"x2", someone can correct me on the drum sizes.

Regardless it can be done. if a gear swap is what your after, why nore just re-gear, most shops will charge considerably less to regear if the axle is out of the truck. so for the cost of a couple u-bolts and you time, you can save several hundred on the labor to re-gear.