5.7 vs 7.4 whats your opinion

which would you rather have 5.7 or 7.4

• 5.7, good ol sbc

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • 7.4 454 baby!!!

Votes: 22 64.7%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just what the title states. Which would you rather have and why? for the sake of argument lets roll with the later vortec version of both. I know there are lots of im thinking baout this motor threads out there, but this is really just because I am curious. I think some of us might be able to get a pretty good discussion going on this one.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am undecided. On the one hand big blocks were the kings of towing before diesels got ridiculous amounts of turbo boost. On the other hand the 350 is one hell of a motor. Id argue that its one of the most bullet proof motors GM ever rolled out.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the other hand the 350 is one hell of a motor. Id argue that its one of the most bullet proof motors Anyone ever rolled out.

Fixed and 100% Agree :handshake: That being said, i'll still take a ol' 327 or 283 4bbl over a Vortec or TBI 350 any day. There's just something about them that even a LS motor cant compare..

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok just gor one isnt the 5.3 a 327^ thus an ls could compare cause it is one... anyway. if its for pulling or a race truck id rather have the 7.4 but if its for a daily or a all around work truck id rather have the 5.7 and even if its just like a show truck/ friday night cruiser id rather have the 5.7 those 350's are bullet proof but if they just dont make the torque that a 454 does.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
better question... with a big blog and a big blower on top sticking through the hood, who the fv<k gives a ****

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I voted 7.4 although I've only had one in a boat. But at 83 mph comming out of the water and only hearing the big block hum was shweet!

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't vote, they both have their places and situations, and both are great powerplants.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok just gor one isnt the 5.3 a 327^ thus an ls could compare cause it is one... anyway. if its for pulling or a race truck id rather have the 7.4 but if its for a daily or a all around work truck id rather have the 5.7 and even if its just like a show truck/ friday night cruiser id rather have the 5.7 those 350's are bullet proof but if they just dont make the torque that a 454 does.

Naw lol I'm talking about old school carburated pre-smog high revin' 327's, not LS series 5.3's.