96 burb 7.4 misfire after 5.0 injectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
What are you using on the lower intake bolts? A lot of people try to use some sort of sealer goop as if they need to hold back coolant. The holes are blind and GM specs thread locker.

mehcs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you using on the lower intake bolts? A lot of people try to use some sort of sealer goop as if they need to hold back coolant. The holes are blind and GM specs thread locker.
I used the thread locker per the spec except for one bolt that’s in a cavity near coolant heater hose. I had coolant pooling there but wasn’t sure if it was coming up thru the bolt or the heater hose leaking and pooling there. That bolt I used thread locker on lower threads and some sealant towards top near bolt flange.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I used the thread locker per the spec except for one bolt that’s in a cavity near coolant heater hose. I had coolant pooling there but wasn’t sure if it was coming up thru the bolt or the heater hose leaking and pooling there. That bolt I used thread locker on lower threads and some sealant towards top near bolt flange.

Front of the engine where the head block and intake all come together on the passenger side? That's where my truck has leaked since it was still a new truck.

Edit: that's also the bolt I found loose after I paid to have gaskets done.

mehcs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Front of the engine where the head block and intake all come together on the passenger side? That's where my truck has leaked since it was still a new truck.

Edit: that's also the bolt I found loose after I paid to have gaskets done.
yes, passenger side. Think it’s the second bold back from the front. Right behind the heater hose connector which I just replaced as well. That is a crappy design if you ask me. Not sure how that is supposed to seal with the plastic clip..?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't seal with the plastic clip. The plastic clip holds the two pieces together. The O-ring does the sealing.

Works great, until the OEM parts corrode. Then you install the Dorman replacement, and it's good-for-life.

mehcs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It doesn't seal with the plastic clip. The plastic clip holds the two pieces together. The O-ring does the sealing.

Works great, until the OEM parts corrode. Then you install the Dorman replacement, and it's good-for-life.
That makes sense. Still seems a bit janky. Have the Dorman replacement so hopefully that’s not the culprit for the coolant pooling in cavity.

mehcs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update: put it all back together.. so far no leak but still runs like crap. So looks like I’m back to the original issue.
Rough idle, miss fire and wants to die when giving the slightest throttle.

This time retard is -1 at idle.

Still think vacuum leak?

mehcs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another update:
This morning I started up the truck to do a vacuum leak test with carb cleaner. It takes a bit to start but will finally start and it revs for a few minutes before calming down. Sprayed all around the upper and lower intake, throttle body, even in under the plenum as best i could and no change or revving. Shut the truck off and tried to restart and it doesn't want to start with out a little tap of the throttle but as soon as it starts up, I can not touch the throttle or it will die. Really at a loss here.

Would a vacuum leak really inhibit me from giving the slightest throttle???

You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• IMG_8658.PNG
    IMG_8658.PNG
    209.9 KB · Views: 0

mehcs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another update:
This morning I started up the truck to do a vacuum leak test with carb cleaner. It takes a bit to start but will finally start and it revs for a few minutes before calming down. Sprayed all around the upper and lower intake, throttle body, even in under the plenum as best i could and no change or revving. Shut the truck off and tried to restart and it doesn't want to start with out a little tap of the throttle but as soon as it starts up, I can not touch the throttle or it will die. Really at a loss here.

Would a vacuum leak really inhibit me from giving the slightest throttle???