5.7 vortec which Programmer to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJKZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I currently have a 97 Z71 with the 5.7 vortec. 35's straight pipes, stock 3:73 gears (heavy half). I need some help on which programmer i should buy. I want something like the Jet programmer with the different settings like tow, econ, performance, etc. I have heard of the hypertech being a good one but has anyone noticed any changes in performance/gas mileage??

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't get either. Get a custom tune from blackbear. Cheaper, way better results, and free lifetime revisions.

Jeff

MazingerZ

Reaction score
Do you need to do a CASE relearn on 97's? (sorry for hijacking the thread)

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just put a bb tune on my 96 last weekend and did not need a relearn. Truck really woke up and is running good. It shifts way better too.

AJKZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you think any performace shop would do the black bear tune? Scmsltn did you notice a difference in gas mileage and how much more power did you feel

Joesgarage

Wrench
Reaction score
I had a wait4meperformance.com tune on my 98, and for about $150. you get a new PCM and lifetime upgrades. OBD II
If you want to tune yourself Jesse at wait4me can sell ya a EFILIVE.

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you think any performace shop would do the black bear tune? Scmsltn did you notice a difference in gas mileage and how much more power did you feel

There is only one shop that does a BB tune. Search black bear tuning and you will find their website. You will fill out a questionaiire about your truck, they will mail you a tuned computer, and you will send yours back as a core. It is $200 ($260 if you dont return your old one).

I haven't even been through a full tank of gas yet and installed it after I had put 150 miles on a full tank with the old tune. I will be filling up today and resetting the tripmeter so i will be able to let you know in a week.

I have Long Tube Headers which I hear is key to making these trucks perform. YES, I did notice a difference. Truck pulls harders, shifts a lot better, and overall driveability is better. Well worth it!!!