4l80e swap thread... Again...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep! That and HD2 kit's stupid ass sandwich plates, lol...
the last HD2 plate I used was manufactured incorrectly. they had used one of the outside plates in the middle... Transgo does make some good stuff, but I have stopped using their shift kits almost altogether and just put togethermy own now.

Attachments

• IMG_20210815_112529_5.jpg
    IMG_20210815_112529_5.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 5

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm glad this post got some attention! I'm still up in the air about what I'm doing but I may look into a salvage yard for a 4l80.

Any of you guys located near San Antonio Texas and know any good yards?

Also having some trouble finding one that isn't like the typical pick_n_pull. I thought salvage yards had an inventory that they pulled parts from themselves vs junkyards where you do it.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I'm glad this post got some attention! I'm still up in the air about what I'm doing but I may look into a salvage yard for a 4l80.

Any of you guys located near San Antonio Texas and know any good yards?

Also having some trouble finding one that isn't like the typical pick_n_pull. I thought salvage yards had an inventory that they pulled parts from themselves vs junkyards where you do it.
Not sure about San Antonio area, but there is an LKQ in south Austin, and I recommend the Wrench A Part in Del Valle. It's on 71 past the airport.
They both should have online inventory listings, so you can check it out before you go. I do this before my yard trips in Houston area.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure about San Antonio area, but there is an LKQ in south Austin, and I recommend the Wrench A Part in Del Valle. It's on 71 past the airport.
They both should have online inventory listings, so you can check it out before you go. I do this before my yard trips in Houston area.
Thanks for the reply! So they keep imventory of known good transmissions?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! So they keep imventory of known good transmissions?
Not sure about that...the inventory list just has cars/trucks on the yard as far as I know. You may be able to call the yards and ask if they can tell you? If they have a 400 truck, 2500/3500 with an automatic transmission it should be a 4L80E as long as it's '92- up

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure about that...the inventory list just has cars/trucks on the yard as far as I know. You may be able to call the yards and ask if they can tell you? If they have a 400 truck, 2500/3500 with an automatic transmission it should be a 4L80E as long as it's '92- up
Depends on the yard - the salvage yards in my area will let you know if they have a specific part along with pricing and warranty though every place is a little different. He should just call around and see what's available. Main thing is not to go to a pick-n-pull as most of those transmissions are shot.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

My 4L85E was out of a newer van. Even the LS era trucks and vans use a 4L80E or 4L85E that will work.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I found an Ebay vendor that has good reviews, a warranty, and a separate All-State warranty option.

Got a supposedly known working 96 4x4 4L80e for $950 with 119,000 miles.

So, now i have to figure out how to get the peripherals. Got a decent trans cooler on order, but need to get the lines (I'm guessing from a 96 k2500 or something), the harness adapters*, cross-member relocation, and the drive shafts done.

You guys think I would be able to get the drive shafts from a k2500 and call it a day?

*I'm having trouble finding harness adapters for my year, but I'm not sure if I'm just being a dork here. I have an 0411 swap from a 2001 Chevy Express van so maybe it doesn't matter?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
89joechevy