4l80e swap thread... Again...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I appreciate your input guys. I guess I'd have to see what's all involved either way.

I would love to learn to tear into it myself, but there are time and money constraints. If I planned on doing more transmissions, I could better justify the cost of the specialized tooling. It's sucks, but I'm kinda strapped in that way.

If I did to the 80 route, it would be nice if someone chimed in on measurements fro their drive shafts on a similar application. Also curious what that costs nowadays. To shorten/lengthen and balance, I mean.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 4L85E is holding up just fine at ~1,700 @ 55 mph and ~2,500 @ 80 behind a 383 making 450 ft/lbs at that rpm pulling around a 7,000 lbs van. The gearing is not the problem, the 4L60E being a POS is! My POS 60E and 65E went out in my OE 3.42 geared van twice in 78K miles. The OE 60E lasted 38K miles behind the stock 350. I threw it in the scrap pile, put a 110K mile junkyard 4L85E and have not looked back. The 4L80E in my Tahoe held up to the 8.1L with 3.42s and 32" tall tires as well. Cruising RPM was like 1,850 @ 75 mph.
Too-tall a final drive gearing will stress the transmission more than otherwise, shortening it's lifespan...Stock 4L60Es are very weak in a lot of areas but once those areas (3-4 pack, sun shell, valve body/shift calibration, etc) are addressed they can take some power though anything north of 550hp, I strongly recommend a 4L80E just for a cost/benefit/risk perspective...I've done both built 60s and mild 80s in that same 400-500 hp power regime and application with no issues. Both will work, just depends on what the right choice is for the individual user and application...I've also rebuilt countless transmissions where folks have put big tires on their vehicles with no change to ratios and burnt the trans up then it comes to me...Unless the final drives have been updated with correct gearing for their tire size, I turn the job away, explaining why.

The 4L80 is clearly the right trans for you however you're countering the norm in two respects when it comes to both transmissions: Most 4L60Es don't die at only 38k behind stock 350s while most junkyard transmissions go south anywhere from immediately to 6 months or so. They are a crapshoot at best and usually fail w/in 6 months of installation from what Ive seen from customers who bring me their junk yards units to rebuild but so far your luck is holding and is making up for your bad 4L60/65E luck so nice when things equal out.

I appreciate your input guys. I guess I'd have to see what's all involved either way.

I would love to learn to tear into it myself, but there are time and money constraints. If I planned on doing more transmissions, I could better justify the cost of the specialized tooling. It's sucks, but I'm kinda strapped in that way.

If I did to the 80 route, it would be nice if someone chimed in on measurements fro their drive shafts on a similar application. Also curious what that costs nowadays. To shorten/lengthen and balance, I mean.

@Astro - You'll need to weight the pros and cons of each and determine what's best for you, as Im sure you know. Whichever route you go, you'll have options insofar as build set up, etc. Don't worry about the exact measurements as you can grab all of that once you have the 4L80 installed (assuming you go that route) but the 4L80E OAL is 26.4″ whereas the 4L60E is 23.5″ so that should give you a rough idea of the difference in the meantime.

Time is usually the biggest barrier for folks when it comes to learning transmissions as most of the special tooling pays for itself with one-two builds.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info Nick. I'm still toying with the idea of doing it myself. I saw your post with the videos on the rebuilds. I have some time. Where can I purchase all these parts, btw?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info Nick. I'm still toying with the idea of doing it myself. I saw your post with the videos on the rebuilds. I have some time. Where can I purchase all these parts, btw?
You're welcome. An overwhelming majority of everything you'll need can be found on eBay, Amazon along with on-line transmission parts suppliers. Also check in your local area for brick-n-mortor transmission parts suppliers who sell to the general public; most major cities have at least one such location. Also check junkyards for transmissions just laying around on the ground for easy pickings if you need any hard to find parts.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess I've been lucky... The $500 junkyard 4L80E swapped into my red truck ('97 C1500 4.3L, 3.42 gears) has been running strong for over five years now.

Yep, you def got your money's worth out of it for sure. Nice get.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should clear up some confusion that I may have caused around my comment about junkyard transmissions not lasting...When I made that above comment, I was referring to transmissions guys are pulling out of vehicles themselves for a couple hundred bucks and installing as a quick fix. I should have differentiated that from pick-n-pull transmissions, which is what I usually see come across the bench from folks trying to buy themselves a few more months with a quick/cheap fix.

If you're purchasing a good-used unit from a salvage yard over the counter for $400-$800+ or so, depending upon the transmission type, then you should expect it to last several thousand miles or even several 10s of thousands of miles...Those units are pulled from known-good powertrains, usually from wrecked vehicles where the salvage yard has some history on the vehicle, etc...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I should clear up some confusion that I may have caused around my comment about junkyard transmissions not lasting...When I made that above comment, I was referring to transmissions guys are pulling out of vehicles themselves for a couple hundred bucks and installing as a quick fix. I should have differentiated that from pick-n-pull transmissions, which is what I usually see come across the bench from folks trying to buy themselves a few more months with a quick/cheap fix.

If you're purchasing a good-used unit from a salvage yard over the counter for $400-$800+ or so, depending upon the transmission type, then you should expect it to last several thousand miles or even several 10s of thousands of miles...Those units are pulled from known-good powertrains, usually from wrecked vehicles where the salvage yard has some history on the vehicle, etc...

Makes sense, mine was a "known-good" unit pulled from a '97 C3500 at a full service yard. Came with a 90 day warranty, which I'm pretty sure expired before it ever made it into my truck. :lol:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Which I could understand. Then again it is not hard to find a 4L80E in a vehicle that was wrecked or the the case of the one in my Tahoe, behind a 6.5L diesel with 120K on the clock and a rod hanging out of the pan. It is not uncommon for a 4L80E to go 500K and beyond in fleet serviced vehicles. A friend of mine got 780K out of one in his L31 powered refrigerated sea food delivery vans. OE L31 had over 1 million on it and was still going. Change the filter and fluid on the junkyard pull. It could last 100s of thousands of miles too. There is an Amsoil delivery van that made it over 1,000,000 miles without a powertrain related failure as well. I have been expecting to have to rebuild the TH400 in the 87 van since I first put it back on the road. 5 years later it was still alive and kicking.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which I could understand. Then again it is not hard to find a 4L80E in a vehicle that was wrecked or the the case of the one in my Tahoe, behind a 6.5L diesel with 120K on the clock and a rod hanging out of the pan. It is not uncommon for a 4L80E to go 500K and beyond in fleet serviced vehicles. A friend of mine got 780K out of one in his L31 powered refrigerated sea food delivery vans. OE L31 had over 1 million on it and was still going. Change the filter and fluid on the junkyard pull. It could last 100s of thousands of miles too. There is an Amsoil delivery van that made it over 1,000,000 miles without a powertrain related failure as well. I have been expecting to have to rebuild the TH400 in the 87 van since I first put it back on the road. 5 years later it was still alive and kicking.
The 4L80E is a much more robust trans than the 60 and I've also seen them come in at 250-300+ thousand miles and only the 3-4 pack and bushings were worn/shot. Maintenance is everything also - If you've been taking care of them then they will definitely last.