4l80e question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Look anyone can break a transmission if they try hard enough even "bulletproof" transmissions are not idiot proof, if you built your transmission and knew what you were doing without any abuse (ie neutral drops) you should be fine, 4l60's cant take the abuse of of 4l80's as far as load and stress but no transmission can withstand the shock loads of someone abusing it, I have seen idiots trash Allison 1000 transmissions, 6 speeds, and any 3 or 4 speed out there, what is nice about a 4l60 is when it breaks, it usually dosent total out, when a 4l80 fails it will melt internally to the point that you cant even rebuild it, I have seen the filter inside a 4l80 melt and get stuck inside the cooler lines and the clutch housings will weld themselves together solid. They have been using 4l60's behind ls engines for about 14 years now so I wouldnt worry so much about yours, just remember the one simple rule of any transmission too much heat and it will fail, the cooler you keep it the longer it will last:)

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
im a little concerned, i recently ran my codes and got a P1870? i believe and anyways it was a slippage code from first to second? which the tranny is functioning perfect?

CrackerJack

Reaction score
Not sure if you're still lookin, but if you wanna do a 60. BTE out of memphis guarantee their 4L60E's to 475hp with a trans-break. I love these guys cause we used em for our custom powerglide behind our 605/653ci (engine swap) nitromethan drag engine and never had a problem and they are always willing to help over the phone

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
i rebuilt mine a little bit ago, like 5k ago and its shifting stronger then any tranny ive ever seen, i dont think i have to worry like i thought i did